We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frozen meat

Palmdale, California
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
frozen meat

has anyone bought their own meat to the island lately.

we plan on doing that in 2 weeks.

a party of nine so want to save a few bucks.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,825 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: frozen meat

Not uncommon as meats tend to be a bit more expensive here than in the States. Most visitors however do not do this.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 05:49
Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: frozen meat

Nothing like having what you want when you want it.Yes---bring it and when you get to baggage claim you wil be surprised at the no. of coolers you will see coming off the carousel. And it IS NOT a problem as you stop once @ immigration with NO official customs stop. By all means, bring it. Keep in mine, the grocery stores on SXM are very well stocked and the airline cost for an extra checked bag and buying there. Either way --ENJOY!!!

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: frozen meat

We have decreased the amount of frozen meat we bring but we still bring a few days worth...we pack it in a collapsible cooler inside our checked baggage and it is usually still frozen on arrival....and we then use that cooler for our trips....

PL3
CT
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: frozen meat

use these...

polarbearcoolers.com/polar-bear-coolers/navy…

http://www.techniiceamerica.com/

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: frozen meat

Can't beat the polarbear coolers. Best there is for soft sided coolers.

CT
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: frozen meat

We are also planning on bringing some food as there are 8 of us and planning for dinner a couple of nights. If I check the bag do I use just ice or dry ice. Food will obviously be frozen before we leave

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: frozen meat

Airlines won't allow you to check ice. Besides ice weighs alot. You can use dry ice but there are restrictions. Packing it frozen in a good quality cooler should be enough traveling from CT even as a carry on.

Palmdale, California
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: frozen meat

thanks everyone.

be there in with my famaily 12 days

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: frozen meat

Great, have a greaf time. I have to wait till May.

Level Contributor
184 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: frozen meat

Hi there loubc from Ct.

I am also from Ct and pack frozen meats etc in a good soft sided cooler with ice packs in my CHECKED bag & it is fine. I usually have to overnight @ Bradley airport in Htfd which I am sure you also do (Ramada)

Manager @ front desk will put your cooler in their freezer overnight and you can retrieve @5AM or whenever ...I have been doing this routine for over 10 yrs with them and never had a prob. Hope this helps