We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in St.Maarten

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in St.Maarten

We are going next week and want to be mobile during our stay.

I've read a lot about car rental as an option, but can you rent a bike?

How does the price compare to car rental?

Is it safe to park anywhere? What about car/bike theft - is it a problem?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

It's not safe. Please don't rent a bike.

The roads are narrow and winding, and hilly and full of unexpected speed bumps and pot holes. Lots of sand.

Drivers pass and stop whenever they want.

Again, please don't rent a bike, or scooter, or ATV.....

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Is it really that bad?

We try to ride every place we go, we did in Cuba, DR and number of countries in Europe.

Is StM worse then DR?

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Have to agree with sxmlover. We just returned and the roads are very narrow and pot-holed in places and the traffic can get quite congested at times. Be safe and rent a car.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Yes, it's really that bad. Please don't do it!

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Sxmlover is right on. At the very least rent a car the first day and drive around, then you will see what we are talking about.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Thanks for the advice.

We'll planning to rent a car first and see how it goes.

It took some persuading on my part, hubby prefers two wheels - one of theese "Real men does..." things.

Thanks again!

columbia,maryland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Rental cars are the way to go in St. Maarten. The roads are not made for cars to share the road with bikes everything is narrow and bumpy. There also not many places especially at the beach where you can lock up a bike. I personally have never seen a bike rental( but I'm sure there is)and you don't often see people on bike unless they are locals. I would not suggest just leaving your bike anywhere, unless you are going to be with it. And if you rent a car don't leave anything in it, even the truck when you go out. Its better to be safe then sorry. There is a place where you can mountian bike I believe, I would check with your front desk. Have fun exploring the island.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Completely agree. A smooth road is the exception, not the norm. Deep, rolling potholes, steep hilly terrain and a very informal way of driving is not a good combination for bikes- manual or motorcycles. Cars are the way to go. Bikes and motercycles are not safe at all. Did not have a problem parking- follow the signs (don't park where towing sign is posted) and DONT leave anything in the car (rule # 1 anywhere). Price shop for rentals- start with national brands and search forums for recommendations for local rentals.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

My husband is also a two-wheeler (he owns a bicycle shop) and even he would not recommend renting a bike there. The roads are too narrow, not in good shape and the automobiles don't show much regard for cyclists

safety. You CAN ride there (he's taken his bike a few times), but it's just not too much fun. Renting a compact is best- parking is at a minimum in many places. Good luck and have fun!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in St.Maarten

Going to SXM for the first time and had the same questions regarding scooters. Thanks for the info. I would like to rent a jeep wrangler, good idea??