We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in St. Maarten?

TO
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
10 Days in St. Maarten?

Hi All,

I'm looking at spending 10 days in the Caribbean but am wondeirng if I will go a little stir-crazy being on an island for so long? Also wondering what the best Island would be for me to go too.

I would like an island with a lot to do, I enjoy diving, kayaking, snorkelling, hiking.

Would also like to stay away from an all inclusive resort. And would love an Island that I could just drive around and explore.

I'm thinking maybe St. Maarten but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Tena

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
633 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

Our first trip some years ago we stayed 10 days or so, 7 at Sapphire near Cupecoy and remaining on Orient Beach.........way way way too short. Swear We saw ourselves leaving as we were just getting there.

Second trip two weeks....too short

Third trip 3 weeks....too short

And so on.

Got up to five weeks and and we thought we were ready to come home.

Second five weak trip and our lower lips were quivering as we were packing to leave.

Now heading down this fall for 6 weeks.

You won't believe how fast your time will fly by.

Get a car, driving alone is worht the price of admission. Crazy but doable.

Lots of beaches, shopping, restuarants, as many activities as you want.

Tough part is deciding on where to stay. We started on Dutch side, Simpson Bay area, then morfed over to the French side on Oyster Pond.

Most activity places are in Simpson Bay area but Orient has it's share of water sports acivity. Snorkling is not great but good enough for us.

Lots of shopping in Phiillipsburg. Interesting vendor's mart on the waterfront in Marigot.

travel safely

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
212 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

We went for our first time in August for 2 weeks and it wasn't enough either. You can hike up to Pic Paradise, which has amazing views of the island. It is the tallest peak on the island. You can take a day trip to Saba where I hear there is very good snorkeling and diving, and you can also climb Mt. Scenery there. We didn't go though because it was way too hot in August. Watching the planes at Maho Beach is quite a thrill if you are into that. I loved it. There are 37 beaches in St. Martin/St. Maarten! Orient Beach seemed to be the busiest with the most watersports. We wish we could live there!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

My gf and I went for our first trip in may for 10. We split it up. 3 days in grand case, 3 days in Anguilla, and the last days in Simpson bay. We didn't feel like we were there for too long

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
633 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

Hey Mike, grew up in B'ham. Live not too far from there now. Did lunch on the harbor yesterday.

Heading to SXM soon, 6 weeks. Wonder if that will be long enough??

After staying in a number of locations on Dutch side and French side we've settled on Oyster Pond, French side, as fitting us best for lodging.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

CkDkn, you KNOW it won't be long enough!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

Bham is a beautiful place to live.. kind of like San Francisco on a small scale. Wow 6 Weeks! Have a good time. I have a craving for some bbq ribs from a lolo and wash it down with an ice cold carib

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

We have been to several of the islands and now go to St Martin just about every year for about ten days. It is great to go around the island and each beach has it's unique charm. It is amazing how different they are and each has something else to offer. We typically vary a day exploring with a day of relaxation. Great restaurants are all over and the supermarkets are reasonable. No need to stay in some compound. Enjoy.

8. Re: 10 Days in St. Maarten?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 13:18