We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Since my ship along with 3 other cruise ships will be in St. Martin in the day I am there Orient Beach is out because of the crowds. I prefer a swimming beach that is quieter than Orient, but has beach chairs & umbrellas to rent. Don't need much more, it is just my husband & I and we like to relax on the beach for hours reading and taking a swim throughout the day...would love some palm trees too!

What are the best 2 choices:

Anse Marcel

Pinel Island

Baie Rouge (Red Bay)

Mullet Bay Beach

Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

I don't want to complicate your list but Friar's Bay should be on it also....and probably be my choice....while you are there you can take a wander over to Happy Bay and check it out....but Friar's would be a good place to relax

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Good choice - I'll second it - Friar's is in the channel with views of Anguilla and is usually calm, Friar's Cafe will let you use their chairs/umbrella free with a food/drink purchase.

Be sure to make transport arrangements for your return trip to the port.

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

I have seen pictures of Friar's & Happy and they didn't seem like the beaches that I am looking for. But I may have to look at some pics of Friar's & Happy Beach again. Of the choices I gave would you not recommend any of those beaches. We want to visit 2 beaches. One in the morning for a few hours and one in the afternoon. I really like the pics I have seen if Baie Rouge and Anse Marcel. Also, Pinel Island looked nice, relaxing & quiet, but I am not sure which 2 I should go to. Please help. Thank you so much!

Edited: 04 October 2012, 12:52
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Well, from your original four I would go with Mullet, can be calm or not so, no telling, nice sandy beach, Rosie's serves ribs and more, chairs/umbrella rentals available.

Red beach may be rocky in sections, more effort in accessing this beachthan Mullet.

Pinel maybe be busy and requires a short boat ride to access.

Anse Marcel is somewhat remote and the hotels pretty much control the beach access.

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

I did look at some more pics of Friar's & Happy Bay and I liked the pics and what people had to say about Happy. If I go to Happy in the morning, what other beach I should visit in the afternoon. My hubby has never been to the Carribbean. He would like a calm, relaxing beach with palm trees and very nice sand, clear blue water. What beach would give him that? Thanks again for you input.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

S H
Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

I would go with Mullet Bay, it is a gorgeous beach with everything you are looking for, it's fairly long so you can take a nice stroll. Not sure if I would bother to move from one beach to another when you are only there for one day.

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Thanks for the website Bobcat. I does give me a lot of information.

SH...I will definitely consider Mullet. It does seems like a pretty beach that is not very crowded. I would like to spend only about 3 hours on the beach and then head to another beach since that is all we will do in St. Martin and we have 9 hours on the island. We are not interested in shopping or doing any tours....just relaxing and swimming at the beach.

I am I thinking Happy or Anse Marcel might be the second beach, I was really looking forward to going to Baie Rouge, it was my first choice, but after reading from Bobcat that is hard to get to and may be rocky, I am not sure if we would be able to take a swim. Thank you both for your feedback.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 14:37
Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

Here here, Friar's Bay.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: These are my 4 beach choices...need help deciding

My first choice from your list would be Pinel. Calm clear water and sand of sugar. my last choice would be friars. I find the sand much coarser with lots of small pebbles. Sometimes depending on the wind direction there is a very foul, offensive smell coming from the pond in back. Rummer has it that sewage leaks into that pond and sometimes into the bay.

Baige Rouge is a nice place but again coarse sand and getting in and out of the water takes more effort.

Mullet is always a nice place to go.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten