We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh no!

West Columbia...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
Oh no!

So, I am getting married tomorrow and we are honeymooning in St. Maarten for a week. I just looked at the weather and it's going to be raining ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! This sure does put a damper on things! Any recommendations for inside activities? Do the snorkeling tours and stuff stop because of the rain? We are on an island! We don't want to be inside!!!! So disappointed.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh no!

I seem to find that the weather forecast for SXM says rain VERY frequently. During my last 2 week trip I swear it said rain 12 out of 14 days and we never had what I would call a "rainy day"..short showers yes...rain no...

That said...there is a tropical depression that is heading towards the Island but it is still 750 miles out and moving VERY slowly (15mph) . If that comes near SXM then there will be some rainy days....no clue on how that will develop

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh no!

You know, there are certain inside activities traditionally associated with a honeymoon... (-; Congratulations on your wedding.

In September, we had the same experience as listed above - 60% chance of rain resulted in one heavy period of rain and then a couple of very brief showers at random times during the day. While I am sure a major system would be different, I wouldn't worry about it too much. When we were there, no one got off the beach for the brief showers.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh no!

Most forecasts have scattered showers for every day because there is always a chance that daytime heating will cause a brief shower somewhere on the island. More often than not these showers hit one spot on the island and nowhere else. I can't recall any days where it rained all day while we were visiting the island. THere is a system on the satellite but keep your fingers crossed and good luck with your wedding.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
544 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh no!

It's very hard to predict the weather on such a small island so the forecasters play it safe by predicting a chance of rain almost every day. You'll still have a wonderful time and the island is beautiful whether it is wet or dry out! Try not to fret about it and have a super time!!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh no!

In regards to the OP's question about snorkling. Yes they do go in the rain. Your going to get wet anyway. Might not be the greatest visability but they will still take you.

Washington...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh no!

We are coming in on the 15th. It's showing completely overcast most of the time we are there...

Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh no!

Might want to keep an eye on this....we are arriving Sunday and keeping our fingers crossed that it goes around before then.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edited: 11 October 2012, 02:07
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh no!

Unfortunately for OP there is a tropical depression headed toward the northern Lesser Antilles that will bring several days of unsettled weather. For once, he weather predictions may be right. There's a very good chance next week will have several days of heavy rains.

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh no!

The weather report keeps getting better for next week...fingers are crossed!

10. Re: Oh no!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 15:19