We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver beware!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Driver beware!!

We are staying near Orient Beach. When leaving the beach for the day several people have been pulled over by the local police and had to do a breathalyzer. 2 girls were taken to the station.

Also a couple was stopped at 9:30 in am and had to show drivers license, proof of rental car info, asked were they are staying, room #, where they live etc. When the couple asked why they were stopped the police just said "we are just checking"

Be careful!

kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver beware!!

They are going to ruin tourism for the island. People go to the islands for vacation and to have fun--yes maybe a cocktail or beer. I am not a drinker but the stops are getting very intrusive. I even got stopped by a walking gendame in the roundabout in Marigot-- my first and only breathalizer. I had not had anything to drink. Can you not even have a glass of wine at diner. Wow the French are really trying to kill St. Maartin. They use to welcome tourists now it is turning into nothing but hassals. Crime, robberies, murders,traffic, and now hassaling people for no reasons. Gendames go back to France!!! I have been to St. Maartin for 12 years in a row--very disappointing.

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver beware!!

They need to pay attention to the CRAZY drivers and motorbikes that speed, pass on blind curves and hills. I'm glad my husband drives while we are here because my eyes are shut half of the time.

That is incredible they stopped you while walking!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver beware!!

Do you think it's ok for visitors to come to the US and ignore the laws because they are on vacation?

Sorry, they are doing their jobs and we are grateful for it. Wish they would do it more on the Dutch side also!

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver beware!!

I have no problem with increased police presence given some of the crime reports. Granted, I never felt unsafe in the Orient Bay area, but I traffic enforcement would be welcome!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver beware!!

They have been doing that in the Orient area for at least 3 years now.....

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver beware!!

People always complain about something, too little policing, too much policing. They have every right to stop you, ask for the rental papers, your driving licence and give you a breathalizer. What's wrong with that?

You can have a glass of wine or a beer, but no more than that. You don't drink and drive at home, so why should you on your holidays.

I was stopped a couple of years ago, not a big deal, and they were very nice, polite, had a conversation in French....bring them on!

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver beware!!

So what's the problem? I applaud their efforts to protect us!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver beware!!

kansasmario... frankly it's too bad that you were inconvenienced in an effort to insure the safety of ALL! i applaud the french side for their efforts and agree that the dutch should implement the practice as well. and this is from an avid wine drinker!!!!!

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver beware!!

Wait a minute... advice on forum is to always carry the least amount of stuff for your safety. Now I have to carry rental papers? Please explain what would happen if we didn't have them?

Edited: 03 November 2012, 16:29
Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver beware!!

The owner of the rental car agency we used told us to leave the papers in the glove box. We stuffed them in a map and left them there.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin