We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

West Des Moines...
4 posts
Save Topic
Fishing

My boyfriend would like to go fishing while we are there. What kind of fishing is there around there? And is there anyone in particular you would recommend? We are going end of January.

West Des Moines...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Has anyone been fishing in st. Maarten?

Galesburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
123 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Check out Taylor Made Charters. We have gone out with Dougie several times. We always catch fish (Mahi-Mahi, Tuna, and Wahoo). He even lets you keep some of your catch for dinner. I believe you will not be disappointed.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

I have also used Taylor Made. Good captain that can find fish. One of the few if any that will let you keep some or all of the fish you carch.

West Des Moines...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Thanks so much! We would like to keep some too, as we both love to cook!

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Does taylor made offer half day charters and how much would it be

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Yes, not sure of the price.

Halifax, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

We just crawled off Lees deep sea fishing charter boat....I DO NOT recommend it. We went for a half day, $150 each. The crew introduced themselves and that was it...they only talked to us if we spoke first. We went full throttle out to a sardine fish farm, pounding the waves, all the way...at some point they threw the lines in the water, I assume we were fishing then...we were never told. Took 2 spins around the farm, then another hour pounding the waves back. Managed to fish for about 30 min on the ledge, caught 2 fish. my buddy never even touched a rod. They treat you like stupid tourists and will let you reel in the line....total waste of time..... they will give you a meal in their restaurant if you catch something but drinks, and sides you have to pay for.....all around very disappointing.

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

Just read your post, pretty sad isn't it. My husband always wants to go fishing on vacation. I think Los Cabos was awesome for the money, speedy ride out, caught fish right away, slow ride home, we would have preferred more fishing, but already caught the limit, so back to the dock but I really don't think it's worth it on vacation. I prefer walleye fishing at our cottage, cheaper and the fish is awesome.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing

Wow! Just had the same experience at Lee's! I was there with my two boys 8 & 10 & my mom 67.

Everyone on board got sick with the exception of me(I was getting there). The captain drove the boat -hitting every wave hard! No life jackets, no consideration that there were kids on board. I had to pull my kids into the boat for fear that they would bounce out. They threw some lines into the water (trolling). Finally we ask when do we start fishing -was amazed to find out we already were. We were told that they would let us reel it in if they catch something.

I kept on complaining that everyone was getting sick - asked if the captain could make the ride less rough.

We've been out on the sea a couple of times already - this was the worst experience we've had.

We finally had enough - 1 hr into the expedition. We asked the captain to take us back.

Amazingly, the ride back in was smooth. We were relieved to be back on land.

Later, we went to speak with Ileana (I think that was her name). She ran the restaurant & fishing tours. She was remarkably unsympathetic. I explained how the captain was driving and asked if that was typical when there are kids & seniors on board. She actually said to me "Do you expect us to ask everyone if they are comfortable with driving"

I said of course! It's a private tour. You should be catering to your customers.

She did not agree. In short, we paid $600 for a 2hr boat ride that really ended up being the horror of our vacation. I DO NOT RECOMMEND LEE'S (across from Royal Palm Hotel)- go down the street to the Boathouse- it can't be worse.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing

You can't anticipate calm or rough seas. If you headed East or South East to the shelf where the fish are then yes you will have a rougher ride. Going back is always smoother because of the following seas. You should have been more diligent when you booked the trip as to what you expected of the way of fishing. Taking kids and seniors that are not sea experienced is a risk that you took. I'm not faulting you or the captain but you really should have done your homework before booking a deep sea fishing trip with any outfit.