We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst car experience ever?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Worst car experience ever?

We recently got back from a wonderful vacation at St. Martin. It is truly the Friendly Island! the only thing I could really say is that moments before we boarded our plane and returned to reality we had to deal with the horrible service at Empress car rental. The car we got was a small slightly beat-up rental that was excellent on gas, we used about a half a tank of gas and brought it back with 3/4 tank as we had agreed to with nice person who rented it to us ( to be truthful every one we spoke to when we first took the car was so nice, a shame things changed later). When we returned we informed that the we had been given a car with 7/8 of a tank and that we need to give them another 1/8. what was a discussion about if we left with 6/8 or 7/8 ( if you look at the gas age they do not have a 7/8 mark , so that amount is clearly judgement call and is meant to give them some hedge way , always allowing them to say that you need to fill up more until you have practically filled the whole tank up!)quickly turned to a tirade when the manager Atoolah stormed in from his office saying that they do not need people like us ( I am assuming they meant tourists but a more sensitive person might have interpreted it differently). It's not that we did not intend to pay or that we were in any way rude, I think you must be respectful but vigilant when in a foreign place). A a car rental is 99% good customer care and Atoolah yelling at us and saying he does not need tourists for his business to prosper is both sad and short sighted. Overall we were talking 5 dollars ( that turned to 10 when they forced us to fill that tank to the phantom 7/8 mark).

Have a feeling this would never happen with Budget ....

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst car experience ever?

I like to start out with a full tank I, insure this is noted on the inspection form, and when returning the rental I stop at a service station and fill up.

Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst car experience ever?

So I'm curious....if you receive the car and it is NOT a full tank.....are you to ask the attendant to fill it up ? Most the time when we have rented, the car is not a full tank but we always return it w/more than what we left with. Too bad that the rental car companies pull scams on tourists~ just puts a really bad taste at the end of a trip.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst car experience ever?

If the tank is not full and the rental guy can't or won't fill it we be sure to note the amount on the inspection form, as long as it is noted there should not be any problem when the car is returned regarding the gas in the tank. It's just easier to fill it to the top in a service station that to try to fill it to a lesser level.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst car experience ever?

We left with what I thought was 3/4 of a tank, on further inspection of the form it said that we start of we 7/8 of a tank. The point being is not if it was 6/8 or 7/8 of a tank ( and as I said the there is not 7/8 mark on the gas gage anyway) it that the manager to in to full rage mode at the hint of us questioning them. Tourism is customer relations kind of job, if you have anger issues you should not be in this business. I can imagine that most of his customers are tourists and for him to clearly state that he does not need us is ridicules. I just know that if this was one of the major rental companies, I could not imagine a manger yelling at customers.

bottom line is I do not have over fill the gas tank for me to avoid issues with rental agents when i return a car. If you are going to have a customer leave the lot with anything less than a full tank it should be either a half tank or 3/4 of a tank, there is not 7/8 of a tank on that car gas gage! finally you just charges the customer $184, why are you yelling at customers over a $5 difference. We paid and would have probably paid it anyway, now we will never ever come back to that car rental company and advise or friends to do the same.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst car experience ever?

Before I return a Rental Car I always re-read the rental agreement to make sure that I comply with the terms of the agreement (including how much gas I need to return the car with) and thus avoid any extra charges,embarrasment or hard feelings.

It is also a very good idea to read the rental agreement in its entirety and fully understand what you are signing before you complete the agreement in the first place. If you dont agree with the terms of the agreement (ie: 7/8's of a tank) dont sign it!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst car experience ever?

You are missing the point Alex, it's not about the 1/8 of a tank. We filled it up before we left and would have filled not matter what. It was the way they treated us, imagine they yell at you for some random superfluous charge at the Radisson hotel or any other place that deals with tourists. Their tirade left us shocked and we felt that given what the manager said ( we don't need people like you)we should warn other tourists and ask they they try another place.

It's about customer service and a smile on their part would have resolved this in moments.

Simpsonbay
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst car experience ever?

Why should a Manager of a Company tell one of its Clients, to not come Back. It does not make any sense. It was not a anger issue. What really happened was,

Mr Ronen, when informed that he has return the Car with less gas, he refused to put any gas and when he was told that he signed the inspection sheet accepting 7/8 of Gas, he went on to say that we run a shady business and he is going to report us on the internet. You exactly used that word "Shady"

Mr Ronen, you should understand, every body has a self dignity and respect and there has been many occasions that we accept the car with less gas but after you said that we run a "Shady Business"and you are going to report us on the internet. I interfere in the conversation and said that you don't have to put any gas and kindly don't reserve any Cars from us in the future. It was not a anger issue, its because you disputed your own signature and accused and disrespected us.

I respectful request you to accept your responsibility and state the full story.

Thank you.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst car experience ever?

Businesses need to provide good service to tourists....word spreads, people share experiences. All this over $5 worth of gas, hardly seems worth it.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst car experience ever?

Seriously, why not just rent cars with full tanks? Otherwise it just invites trouble like this. The place we rent from always gives us a car with a full tank, and the last thing I do before dropping it off is fill it up. Everyone goes home happy.

And why in the world is the agent going on about being "disrespected?" Its just a business transaction. Sometimes its better just to swallow your pride and make the customer happy. Even if you think the customer was wrong, its just silly to turn this into an argument about "dignity and self respect."

10. Re: Worst car experience ever?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 05:17