We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One very special meal

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
One very special meal

Hi everyone,

Am surprising my husband with a trip to the island for his 40th birthday. Woud like a really special restaurant for the actual "big day". Any ideas?? Price is not an issue for this occasion. Just want something really memorable.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
463 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One very special meal

I will answer this two ways for you:

1. Our favorite upscale/special occasion restaurants include: Le Pressoir, Spiga, Le Ti Bouchon, Temptation amd Tropicana.

2. Rght now there are 302 reviewed restaurants on TA. Most any in the top 25 will probably fit your need. I did scan them quickly and some are more there for value that being upscale special occasion destinations. Look over that list and match them up with your own preferences and you will do well. SXM is known for its cuisine with many great upscale options. Find the best match of the the top 25 to your own preferences and you will be happy.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One very special meal

We would suggest Sol Le Luna but don't confuse this with an expert opinion as we have never even dined on the Dutch side. It is on a par with the fine restaurants of Grand Case but has an almost secluded location and different romantic atmosphere. We splurge for a dinner there each trip. It could be a little further distance but you park right there with no traffic or congestion.

Grand Case is awesome,particularly on Harmony Nights with the almost Key West type street activity. You can get a tasty meal at the LoLo's without spending much or have an incredible meal at a number of restaurants.

The previous post raises a good point about the TA list of reviewed restaurants. For example, Le Taitu is highly rated and is a good little inexpensive option, but is not upscale in any respect.

Happy 40th. I think I remember when I thought that was getting old.

Garden City...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: One very special meal

Not exactly St Maarten related... I took my girlfriend for her 40th to Aruba and on the night of her birthday we dined at a restaurant where our table was literally in the water on the edge of the beach. The water was warm, calm and just about ankle deep, enough to have your feet in. Moonlight over the bay, it was breathtaking. If anyone knows of restaurants like this in SXM for the OP that would be a great recommendation!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One very special meal

I will echo this. JVR mentioned Ti Bouchon - but it depends on what you are looking for specifically. If you go to Ti Bouchon be prepared for a more casual atmosphere with the food being outstanding. As well, be prepared for lengthy conversations with the host. If you are looking for something more quiet and romantic, Sol E Luna might be the right choice. Surprisingly it does not quite match up review-wise here, but we went there in October and the design/decor definitely is important to them and the food was excellent as well. It definitely is a more romantic setting and the service is more discreet.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One very special meal

Thank you all for the recommendations. Can you tell me how far Grand Case is from Simpson Bay (driving)?

6. Re: One very special meal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:17