We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches away from crowds

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best beaches away from crowds

I know there are a lot of posts about beaches on this forum,so I apologize for the redundancy, but so many of them seem to be related to people getting off cruise ships, that I'm not finding exactly what I need. I will try and be specific in what we like as to narrow down the reccommendations. We like calm, swimmable water. Nothing too crowded. We don't need parasiling or jet skis or crowds. What we do need is a shack or two selling cold beers and good food and maybe someone renting beach chairs. We will have a car, so location is not an issue. Already have a trip to Pinel planned, so looking for mainand beaches.

Thanks so much - this forum is proving very useful in planning!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
223 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

Mullet bay beach fits all of your criteria.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

Not sure where you are starting from ...

If you are on Dutch side the western point just over into the French side is Baie Rouge. Ticks all the boxes, chairs available, water calm (although I was there on a windy day and it was a bit of a surf) places for food and drink.

Further up the western side on French side is Friars Bay - IIRC two places for food, chairs, calm water. As well - you can venture 10 min walk to Happy Bay and it's significantly quieter (although clothing optional BTW) with a very small hut w food and drink (so maybe eat at Friars and venture over to Happy Bay) - there is a guy renting chairs but they are not cushy.

If you are on east side, French side, not far from Orient is Le Gallion which is very quiet, has a hut, chairs - the only thing is if it has rained there's a good chance there will be seaweed and water not very nice.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

Recently the french government closed down the two beach bars at Baie Rouge. There are no longer any amenities available there.

Simpson Bay beach is another non crowded beach. Head to Karakter or Mary's Boon for your restaurant/chairs.

Lebanon, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

We love Friar's Bay and it has everything you are looking for.

AL
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

x3 vote for Friar's Bay.

As with anywhere on the island, don't leave anything in your car.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

We loved Gus's at Baie Rouge! Why did they get shut down? :-(

- Depressed Dragon

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

Read they are open again, so no worries.

Philipsburg, St...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

My vote goes to Friar's Bay.

9. Re: Best beaches away from crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 07:18