We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

french side or dutch side

Boston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
french side or dutch side

What is the difference, I would like an all inclusive, beach vacation.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: french side or dutch side

Not much for AI here. There are a couple on the French side, but located on the lagoon, so no swim-able beach.

Sonesta Maho doesn't have much of a beach, Sonesta Great Bay is on a nice beach.

If you are really looking for an AI beach vacation, perhaps this is not a good island for you?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: french side or dutch side

The major difference is that the dutch side is more americanized than the french side. This is not meant as a bad thing or a good thing. Also if you are looking for all inclusive you can pretty much rule out the french side. Not to discourarage you further but St. Martin is not an all inclusive type destination. Even at the AI locations you will probably want to venture out to try restaurants, enjoy excursions and see beautiful beaches that are not necessarily at your doorstep.

St. Martin is worth exploring, we never do all-inlusive though on SXM. For AI's I would go to Jamaica,DR, or Mexico. We love St. Martin but figure out what you want from your vacation, and do a little research on St. Martin. If it is a matter of cost I don't think you save much at an AI...but you do limit your options.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: french side or dutch side

Add RaddisonBlu to Elaines list - I believe they offer AI during high season - best to inquire - French side.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
633 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: french side or dutch side

We did our first couple vacations on the Dutch side but migrated over and now stay only on French side. We've found that the Oyster Pond area give us the best flexibility of nearby bars/restaurants, grocers, beaches, Phillipsburg for shopping, etc. Our forays to the Simpson/Maho area are very few.

There's so many wonderful beaches, restaurants, Marigot and Phillipsburg shopping, etc that getting out and around is a must. Driving is a treat - once you get used to it. There's a whole range of lodging options from $$$$$ to $ depending on you preference.

5. Re: french side or dutch side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 06:15