We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

We are planning a carribean vacation (or maybe Nassau??) for Spring and needing recomendations on which island to visit. We are mid 30's (no kiddos)- mostly enjoy great beaches, but also like a little night life. We found super flights to St Thomas, but it appears that hotels are either out of our price range (no Ritz Carlton for us!) or only 2 star in both St Thomas and St John. St amrtin seems to have more hotel options. We really loved the flavor Freeport/ Port Lucaya if that helps describe our vacation style. Any advice is appreciated!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

You can save by renting a timeshare apartment over a hotel room.

Try this site and AARP members save even more- ask your elders....

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

I have found there are relatively inexpensive alternatives on most Islands if you look into it.

We didn't go to St. John for years because we thought Caneel Bay was the only hotel! LOL

There are places to stay on most Islands for under $150-$200 depending what Month you go. On St John, many places lower the rates to off-season on May 15th.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

We've been to Freeport/ Port Lucaya - we stayed at the Wydham Viva Fortuna, which was okay.....If I could make it work, I would stay on St Thomas and take day trips to St John (so easy with the car ferry) and possibily White Bay in Jost Van Dyke, we stayed in some primitive cabins on the beach at Ivans Campground there, the location is amazing. One of the things we love about the Virgins is the close proximity to each other. If you love beaches, St John is a winner hands down, with the island being 2/3 National Park it is a true paradise. Have you tried the Marriot on St Thomas?

We like St Martin too, and will be headed back there in 2 weeks. We were able to find a very cheap time share exchange and it was too good to pass on. Good Luck with your decision, so many beautiful islands out there!

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

My husband and I have vacationed at all 3 places and loved each place,but we continue to go back to St. Martin-3 times in the last 3 years.and I am going with the "girl friends" tomorrow for a week at a friend's timeshare in Simpson Bay. St John is great if you want to rent a car for your stay and go to different beaches each day-breathtaking scenery,beaches,and lots of water activities. We camped at Cinnamon Bay for a week and went to a different beach and area of the island each day-even though our beach at Cinnamon Bay was the best. For a bit more money I am sure you can find a small condo or apartment here in Cruz Bay-we met people who go there each year and use it as a home base for their island activities..Another time we rented a reasonably priced condo at Sapphire Village,at the marina,on St. Thomas. Our view was spectacular and we had lots of possibilites available-took a day charter to the BVI's (do it again sometime)Breakaway was the boat, and bought fish off the local charter boats at the marina -right below our condo!!! It's a very short walk to beautiful Sapphire beach Beach where you can swim,.snorkle,order food and just plain relax as the colors of the ocean mezmerize you. There was a shuttle to a restaurant at another resort and we ate there too. We wanted to really relax here and you could-did not rent a car. It's easy to get to Red Hook and take the ferry over to St. John and go to the beach there if you choose. We would go back here again!! last year we went back withour whole family-kids and grandkids to St. Martin and everyone wants to go again!! We rented timeshare condos from friends. Our son and his wife-mid 30's loved gooing off to the French side-with their toddler-different beaches,restaurants-very cosomopolitan atmosphere here and they travel a lot and even did fly fishing and caught a tarpon .All of us loved going to French side to Le Galion Beach -just packed lunch, drinks,air mattresses and floated and swam and loved making family memories here-a favorite spot!!! I love St. Martin for the ease of getting around with a car-going to different beachesand just enjoying the vibe of lots of different places to eat and play!! Pinel Island was another place to visit-PARADISE. With the family we did not go out a lot at night this trip because of the grandkids. It's different when you go just with your spouse-or your friends -out each night-or most of them. Enjoy planning your trip!! Thiis time tomorrow night we will be on St. Martin! Got to finish packing....

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

My husband and I have also been to all three islands in the last two years. Leaving for two weeks in St. Martin in a month for the regatta. Leangth of visit and how much yu like to get out and do are the big differences. St. John's is beautiful, but slow and small. Short visit great. St. Thomas is of course the United States and you know it. Culturally not too different from Florda. Puerto Rico, Key West, etc. St. Martin is two different countries and there is something to do for everyone. We love it because everytime we go we do new things (ie. the regatta). Can be expensive, but I have heard timeshares and condos may be cheaper. (We gamble so our hotel/resort give us great discounts!). Have fun!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

We honeymooned in St John, and never went back. We keep coming back to St Martin for exactly the reasons Murphyju mentioned - the culture, activities, nightlife, plus great beaches and of course to see the friends we have made over the years.

Northern VA, US
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

How about Aruba? it got both nice beaches and night life.

St John beaches are awesome, but I don't think the night life is that great.

8. Re: St Martin or ST Thomas/ St John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 05:16