We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Martin safe?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St Martin safe?

I am working on planning a honeymoon to St Martin- but the French side. We were thinking of staying in an apartment thats part of the Mount Vernon complex....walking distance to Orient Beach and a mile from Grand Case.

I have heard a lot of crime happens so wanted to check to make sure we are staying in a safe area. I know we need to take the necessary precautions, but i hear there has been a lot of car jackings with the people still in the car, etc. Is this something we need to be frightened of? Also, if we eat in Orient Beach and are hanging out there, is it safe to walk the short distance back to the apartment we are staying in? any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Martin safe?

I have honestly never heard of a carjacking with someone in the car here. Stop reading the tabloids! LOL

Do not walk anywhere in the dark, alone. Especially the beach, which is not lit at night

I honestly don't know how well lit the MV area is, but it might be helpful to pack a small maglite to carry with you just to see where you're going!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Martin safe?

edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.…

-----------------------------

Here is Ed & Sandra's Orient panorama

-----------------------------

It's a good distance to walk to the village restaurants and as Elaine mentioned it is not recommended after nightfall.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Martin safe?

We will be staying at mont vernon in 30 days, and have stayed there before. The area is safe on the grounds of the complex at night. The walk to orient village along the beach is fine during the day, up until dusk. I wouldn't venture it after dark. There is a great restaurant walking distance from Mont Vernon called Le Taitu, that we walk to after dark. Staying in this area requires a rental car and though distances are short the hills do not make for good walking.

We never felt unsafe, and I wouldn't worry about carjackings in this area, but like I'm sure you have read never leave anything in your car or put anything in your trunk and walk away. We have Been going to SXM for a number of years, and we try to carry as little as possible with us. Leave most of your stuff locked in your room and most MV condos have safes for your valuables.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Martin safe?

Sorry for the double post.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 13:50
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Martin safe?

Thank you, this is all very helpful. Is Grand Case a better area to stay in than Orient Bay? I read they have amazing restaurants. We are looking for quiet, beautiful beaches, some fun excursions (it looks like St Martin has a bunch), wonderful food, and not a lot of nightlife, but a little would be nice. a fun beach bar or live music we can hear at night for awhile before heading back to our room. Also are the excursions (ferry to other islands, etc) nearby either Grand Case or Orient?

PS Bobcat I LOVE the map! Thank you for sending!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Martin safe?

edsandra.com/esgeneral/GrandCaseReference.htm

-------------------------------

Ed & Sandra's Grand Case reference - a short 10 minute drive from Orient Beach

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Martin safe?

It depends on what is more important to you. My wife and I love Grand Case for its restaurants, shopping, and little bit of nightlife.We always think to stay there, but are going to stay for our third time at Mont Vernon condos because we just prefer to wake up and walk down to our favorite spot on Orient Beach. We also like the routine of happy hour at one of the many bars on the beach or our porch at Mont Vernon and then going to Grand Case or whereever else.

There is no right answer. Luckily Grand Case is only 15 minutes drive from OB. If you stay in Grand Case the beach there is very nice too. We also love Happy Bay, and baie rouge beaches for a day. Everyoneone has their own idea for nightlife, and we like smaller places like Blue Martini in Grand Case, Dinghy Dock Bar in Oyster Pond and Pineapple Pete's.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 19:32
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St Martin safe?

The Mont Vernon end of Orient Beach is actually kind of quiet. There is a nice beachside pool. We have never had any safety concerns on the island but evidently petty theft can happen. Unfortunately Boo Boo Jams burned down so there is no music at night within walking distance (unless something changed since last year.)

Grand Case is a little further than a mile but not far. It has a bustling little town center with narrow streets loaded with shops and eateries. You can have a gourmet meal or eat at the Lo-Lo's right in the center for about $10.

Pinel Island is not far and you just drive over and hop on the ferry for a short crossing-calm and inexpensive.

Orient Beach gets a lot of notoriety for the nudists (they have a distinct area at the far end of the beach) but it is actually about the most beautiful beach we have ever seen and we have seen a lot of them.

We tend to alternate a day hanging out at Orient with a day visiting one of the other awesome beaches.Friars and Dawn are favorites of ours.

Anguilla is a nice day trip with the ferry from Marigot but there are a number of beaches just as interesting without leaving the island. St Barts is a longer ferry and an expensive destination even for a day. There is a shorter plane ride from the Grand Case airport which might interest you but the landing at the St Barts airport is unique. (Death defying ?) You would need to rent a car or be prepared to be gouged by the taxi charges.

If you want to have a memorable dinner you can visit Sol Le Luna on the road into Mt Vernon (walking distance).

We used to walk down the beach to Orient Village for dinner until recent years. We stopped due to all the safety concerns posted here. The beach in front of Mt Vernon is well lit and there is always a security guard or two walking around.

Have great honeymoon.

9. Re: St Martin safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:16