We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Maarten cruise stop/Anguilla for a day

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Topic
St. Maarten cruise stop/Anguilla for a day

We are taking a Disney cruise in late May with a stop in St. Maarten. We desperately wanted to spend the day in Anguilla, given we are in port from 8:30-6:30 pm. It will be my husband, myself and our 5 year old son. We are huge Providenciales fans and wanted to visit a comparable beach. Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Maarten cruise stop/Anguilla for a day

If you stopped in SXM just for the day and wanted to go to Anguilla, there is quite a lot of travelling involved.

You would need to take the Ferry from Marigot, which is almost on the other side of the island from where Philipsburg is located and the cruise ship terminal.

The problem with SXM is the traffic, you could get to marigot in 25 minutes like you could only get there in 90 minutes. There are some serious traffic problems sometimes. Trying to get into Marigot early in the morning can be a nightmare. If I had to guess, by the time you arrive in Marigot, it will be around 09H30 so most traffic would have dissipated but nothing is 100% sure.

The same goes for the return, so you could easily miss the ship if anything goes wrong between traffic and if the ferries are slow that day (If there are lots of people boarding). It is definitely doable but is kind of risky. You won't be spending that much time either in Anguilla. For example, I would leave Anguilla at 15H00 if your ship leaves at 18H30 to be sure I don't miss it and account for any issues that may arise along the way.

So you are looking at a window of 11H00 to 15H00, 4 hours of time in Anguilla if you want to play it safe. It isn't much time for a lot of effort.

You could stay longer but would be taking risk, you may arrive earlier if all goes smoothly in the morning. A lot of buts...

Otherwise, maybe you can hire some boat to pick you up in Philipsburg and bring you straight to Anguilla. That would be way more costly but will give you a full day in Anguilla stress free. I'm not sure which companies can pick you up and do custom Anguilla trips but I do know that there are some!

A ferry would cost approx. 25 per person but really not sure. It is around that.

A private boat for the day is probably around $160 - 200 per person for the day.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 15:06
2. Re: St. Maarten cruise stop/Anguilla for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17