We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

fayetteville
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

Hey all. We have scoured this site and ttol for so much good information on so many destinations. Your posts and comments have been invaluable, particularly in regards to beach vacations. So.... I have read through the wonderful lists and sm just looking for any feedback regarding La Siesta condos in SIMPSON BAY (not the residence on the French side).

One review from December 2012 has me thinking about changing our reservation due to the fact the poster mentioned the poor upkeep of the Paradise Beach unit which we are booked in. Not sure hos i missed his post the first time but i did. Hoping the owners have listened to his comments but does anyone else have any knowledge of this particiular unit (Paradise Beach).

We are excited to see SXM and all it has to offer just a little worried about the maintenance of this unit. Thank you in advance for your input.

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

We are renting Sea View Place at La Siesta in July. I think your unit looks lovely and all the reviews on vrbo are positive. I wouldn't put too much weight on one bad review. I remember in the past reading a few bad reviews on an all inclusive we had booked in the DR and almost changed hotels over it. We got there and wondered what in the world anyone could complain about. I think sometimes people are over critical, or have different expectations. Also, it is more likely for someone to voice a complaint if they have one than to take the time to compliment sometimes. I hope someone who has stayed in your unit responds. When is your trip? If I go before you I could give you feedback on your unit (from the outside anyway - lol)

fayetteville
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

Thanks for your reply! We are booked for June. Fingers crossed. :).

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

Hi - I replied to your trip advisor message. We just returned from Paradise Beach condo on 5/25. We LOVED it and the location. Much more detail in my message. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

Just curious - did you walk to restaurants in the area? We are trying to decide if we should get a car for the whole time or just a few days. Would love to hear what restaurants you visited and your opinion of them.

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

We drove to most of the places but they are within walking distance. We did walk up to Karakters on the beach and via the road. Definitely check them out. Cool bar and restaurant right on the beach with lounge chairs and umbrellas to use if you have drinks or food. Great soul singer on Thursday night. As you are looking at the water, they are up the beach to the right just past Mary Boon's Resort. Across the bridge in Simpson Bay, we had dinner at Skipjacks, Pineapple Petes and Cappuccino Bar and Grill...all good meals. Breakfast a few times at La Sucriere and Zee Best...also over the bridge in Simpson Bay.We did alot of cookig on the grill at the condo. Visted the fish market on the left immediately before the bridge. Not open on Sunday and Monday. Have to get there early (5:30 - 6:00) for the best selection. We were there at 7:30 am and did get some delicious Yellow Tail Snapper fillets and whole red snapper fish. We rented our car (Hyundai Accent) from Empress and paid $150 for the whole week. We used it a lot driving around the island.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

We are currently staying at La siesta. The condo is lovely and very Clean. Unfortunately, this morning there are bull dozers and heavy equipment at work just next door, The worst thing it started at 8:30 just as we are having our morning coffee and relaxing on our beautiful patio over looking Simpson Bay. My husband is a recreational pilot and is very annoyed at the multiple large and small jets taking off all day. . If you don't mind the noise roosters crowing and dogs barking continuously this is absolutely a gorgeous place to stay. Next time we will try the French side. The water seams to be more calm and less poverty in the area. This might sound petty but we chose this place because we wanted a very private and quite place for some much needed down time.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 15:40
Newark, DE
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

Sorry to hear about the construction...is it in the parking lot between the 2 condo buildings? We got used to the planes, roosters and dogs. Have you seen Lucky? He is a black and white dog who comes to visit. If so, hope you fed him. He is very sweet and we miss him already.

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

We just got back (yesterday) from La Siesta - Casa Carib.

It's a very nice site, close to all in Simpson Bay.

Yes, dogs bark (at times), roosters crow, but the air conditioning drowns out any noise at night.

You sometimes hear planes, especially since the runway is pretty close - but it was not as bad as I thought it might be. And we especially enjoyed listening to the waves crash on the beach.

We rented a car - cause we wanted to explore the whole island. Used Hertz, and the free GPS supplied with the car was well worth it. Don't know if we would find half the things we wanted to see without it.

We ate at the following places near Simpson Bay: SkipJacks, Crave, Jimbos, Lee's Roadside Grill, and Toppers. I highly recommend all of them, and I listed them in order of my favorite. I also would recommend a trip out to Loterie Farms - even if you don't want to zipline, you must try eating at the Hidden Forest Cafe. I had the curry chicken, rice, and sweet potato, and I have never tasted anything like that ever in my life - absolutely delicious.

The construction they were doing was removing roofing tile from the 10 unit building. It occurred for 1 day. Power went out for an hour (maybe?) in the middle of the night one time ... island living! It's part of the experience.

9. Re: La siesta -- "paradise beach" unit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 07:17