We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
524 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach?

Looking for a new beach to try. We've been to orient and maho. We'd like a less touristy beach that is beautiful with calm water and with restrooms.

Suggestions please?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach?

For calm water try Le Galion. I'm pretty sure there are restrooms available at Tropical Wave there which is a bar/restaurant on the beach. Also Karakter on Simspon Bay beach. Restrooms available there. Simpson Bay beach is usually not very crowded. Lots of wide open space but the water can vary from calm to large waves.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach?

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
524 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach?

Thanks! Looking at the map on that website it looks like maho and simpson are close. Are they walking distance?

Also any idea how far from the cruise ship and are cabs readily available or would we need to plan that ahead?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach?

Depends where on Simpson Bay. I walked from Karakter (Mary's boon) to the end of the runway at Maho so it is walkable.

The cruise port is in Phillipsburg, so about half an hour by a taxi......and they will be available.

PL3
CT
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach?

Our favorite:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147351-d1…

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach?

Friars Bay on the French side, take a walk 10 min to happy bay,No restrooms in Happy bay, but amazing place.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
524 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach?

Any idea how far friars bay is from the cruise port? And how much a taxi would run?

How hard is the walk to happy bay? I will be with people with arthritis & other medical issues.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach?

Pinel Island is by far the calmest, shallow water on the island. Less touristy and great food! I just spent 2 weeks on St Martin and saw many beaches and Pinel was my favorite. Ferry from Cul-de-sac on NE part of island, north of Orient. Ferry starts at 10am, $7/person round trip and last one comes back at 4pm. Bring your snorkeling equipment and stay the day!

9. Re: Best beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:17