We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Where to go?

My husband and I want to take a Caribbean vacation over Thanksgiving. I've been doing so much research it's all running together. We can't decide between Barbados, Aruba, Antigua, and St. Martin. We want nice, but not mega resort accommodations, more like a boutique type hotel. Also, we want to be able to get out and see the local culture without it being uber touristy, not to mention safety. We're not Rockefellars or anything, but we also don't want to stay in a hostel. Any suggestions from you experts would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Hello my fellow North Carolinian. First off, asking this question in a St. Martin forum is going to get you predictable answers. So, what I will do is explain to you why we picked St. Martin.

It is easy to get to. Big airport (by Caribbean standards) and many flights direct from the USA.

The two sides - French and Dutch - make it like two for the price of one visits.

Lots of different options for lodging including smaller hotels and villas, particularly on the French side.

Ability to explore the island as long as you rent a car. Yes there are times and places to avoid, but we never felt unsafe.

Lots of beaches.

Honestly, you'll likely have a great time at any on the list. We are going back to St. Martin rather than trying somewhere new because there is so much to see and we want a repeat of what we have already done.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

I posted the question here because that is where we are leaning :) Can you suggest any accommodations that are smaller and beach front with a view. Honestly, that's where I'm getting really confused. Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Many timeshare rentals available for SXM - using Endless Vacations with the AARP program saves additional 35%- many other Island destinations available too.

--------------------------------

http://www.endlessvacationrentals.com/aarp

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

We stayed at Mont Vernon - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147346-d118898…

Booking through VRBO, specifically from Allen Berta. It was affordable and great base of operations for us. Good security too. The ability to cook helped us save a lot of money.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mont Vernon
Hotel Mont Vernon
101 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
PL3
CT
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

de bes on de ilon...

http://www.lepetithotel.com/

Edited: 28 June 2013, 22:18
Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

PL3's recommendation is a good one. a samll, boutique htoel, right on the beach, in the small village of Grand Case. Very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
7. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:17