We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Hello, I have a trip planned to St Maarten next year to burn up some air miles. However, coming from Europe where we tend to have huge price competition (I just booked a deluxe room in a 4* hotel in Prague with 97% Trip Advisor rating for approx $70 USD per night) I find the prices on St Maarten quite staggering for accommodation. It looks like even a basic guest house will cost us in the region of $150-180 USD per night, is that correct or am I searching in the wrong places?

We would be looking around late March 2014 for around 3 nights. Obviously I'm searching for places on booking.com, hotels.com, etc. I was wondering on here if anyone knows of smaller less advertised hotels/guesthouses that might be more within our price expectations? To be honest I'm not too bothered where we stay as we'll spend most of our time exploring, although somewhere nearer to the airport would be better.

If I've completely mistaken then unfortunately it looks like we'd have to ditch our ideas of the Caribbean and head to Asia instead where it is a bit more affordable, which would be a shame as we've never been to the Caribbean before!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Late March is still high season.....you won't find anything safe and with running water:) for Prague prices although would like to know which hotel you've booked)

Horny Toad Guest house would be within your price range (just) from 14th April

http://www.thtgh.com/details.html

Long way to come for just 3 nights...and which airmiles are you burning?

Edited: 29 June 2013, 12:27
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Hi, we're actually planning to be in NYC for a few nights using a BA Avios, we were then hoping to burn some more Avios (only 10,000 miles + £2 in tax on AA) to fly down to St Maarten from NY. It's one of those scenarios where we an easily be in St Maarten for minimal cost on top of what we've already spent to be in NY, and so we'd like to take the opportunity if at all possible.

However, at circa $200 per night I really don't think we'll be able to afford it. I need to see if we can get airline reward availability to NY later in April so that we arrive in St Maarten after peak season, the only problem then is I think that AA's JFK-SXM link stops at some point during the year outside of the peak season.

Our hotel in Prague is the Questenberk Hotel, we paid £90 GBP for 2 nights in December for some Christmas shopping. We've been to Prague several times and it is our top choice for a cosy European break.

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Check Mont Vernon (also written Mount Vernon so input that in the search engine too) on VRBO. Even in season, you should be able to get under $200/night. $70/night? No way.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Questenberk is in a nice location, Hradcany is my favourite area in Prague.

Good luck with your search.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

It's looking like we may be best if we can adjust our dates and come a little later. How is the weather during the end of April/first week of May usually?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Perfect!

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

its a good time to visit the island

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

Hi,it's high season in St Maarten/St Martin and the rest of the Caribbean. You are right on the money in going to Asia. You will absolutely love Pattaya or Phuket Thailand.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

If the OP comes to SXM in late April,early May, it is not high season any more in SXM

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are my price expectations completely wrong? (accommodation)

The OP stated looking in "LATE MARCH"--- which is HIGH SEASON.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin