We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

NY
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

I might be allergic to the Lobster or maybe I'm allergic to the bug spray that many places use but I tend to get a rash when on vacation in St Martin. It happened last time I was there last year and just happened again. Maybe too much sun but it doesn't happen when on vacation and in the sun in other places. I eat lobster on most vacations but I only get the skin rash in St Martin. Does anyone else get this?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

Are your other vacations to tropical places close to the equator also? It's probably sun poisoning due to the intensity of the sun here.

Food allergies are typically the same not matter what your latitude.

Loudon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

Agree with the sun poisioning hypotheseis. We annually visit SXM in February. My Wife got small blisters on the back of her hands years ago - went to the local doctor - was diagnosed as sun poisioning- given a topical cortisone and it cleared up. If she doesn't apply sunblock she will usually get a recurrence. The air is crystal clear and as one approaches the equator, sun is more intense especially in the winter.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

What does your doctor say? It's difficult for contributors on a travel forum to diagnose your ailment without more information about your symptoms and actually seeing the rash.

Food allergies, sun poisoning, reactions to bug bites, even irritating reactions to poisonous plant material can all cause unpleasant skin rashes.

4. Re: Has anyone gotten a skin rash while in St Martin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18