We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dengue??

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
dengue??

this is directed at the locals...

i've made the trip several times...during the same time of the year...late september early october.

i have zero recollection of seeing, much less getting bitten by...mosquitos.

this doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

i'm a bit more cautious this time around as i now have a 2 month old who will be joining me.

i'm happy to scrap the holiday altogether, however, if the population of mosquitoes is as prevalent as it's been officially reported.

on the other hand...what's the word from the troops on the ground?

clearly, the last thing anyone wants is an infant on her first trip to the island becoming ill.

any and all advice is welcome...

sxmlover...any advice?

thanks, all!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dengue??

I don't want to make light of this at all, especially with babies and old geezers like us. I can only offer what I have seen friends do with their babies. Keep yourselves in a good breezy place if possible, away from vegetation. A net for your pram/stroller. Cover arms and legs in the evenings when it's not so hot. Might be worth purchasing a small battery operated fan in case of no breeze. Blow the nasty buggers away! Like these: sears.com/…20fan

Philipsburg, St...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dengue??

Info from a mum of 2 teenagers and the proud aunt of a 9 month old - all born and raised here.

Hopefully you stay in the same area and have little if no mosquitoes - however prevention is key.

Definitely purchase a mosquito net for your stroller and crib, the rectangular one with elastic at the corners - I have seen these at Target, but also easily available on island from Bebe & Kids (on the way in to Marigot in the commercial area on the left, or on the road to St Peters just off the Bush Road round-a-bout).

You can also purchase here on island, at most grocery stores, repellent wrist bands - these my sister will attach to the stroller or wear herself.

And ask at your pharmacy for baby mosquito repellent or purchase at the pharmacies here (I preferred the offering for babies in the French pharmacies) - like suntan lotion these are not recommended for babies under 6 months old so I would put some on my hands and then dab onto my daughters clothing and around the stroller, and on myself, so it was not actually in contact with their skin.

A stroller clip on fan, the one with the foam blades (again I have seen at Target), is not really strong enough to blow any mosquitoes away, but will keep your baby cooler under the mosquito net which does also cut some of the breeze. Ditto if you do cover up with longer clothing - again you can buy the cutest light cotton baby stuff made by Petit Bateau at Bebe & Kids (as well as other really cute French clothing).

Your baby will still be small enough to hang out in the infant car seat, but this can get a bit hot during the day so if you have a reclining stroller bring it - this brings him/her up higher out of the mosquito zone and also offers some shade during the day. It also makes a convenient place to change diapers as our restaurant bathrooms are not equipped with changing stations. My sisters stroller is huge, but we manage to get it into all of the restaurants.

Mosquitoes are usually worse around sunset - so try and keep your hotel room doors and windows closed at this time to keep any of the little buggers outside.

As important as mosquito prevention is keeping him/her out the sun and cool. At the beach my niece is under a baby UV tent under the umbrella - my sister is very strict about the skin cancer thing, I was a bit easier.

If you are driving around in the car and the sun is on the baby, a trick is dampen a burp cloth and close this in the door or window so that it hangs there and blocks the sun. Same damp trick for shade over the stroller or infant car seat.

I suggest that you bring your diapers, and formula if you use, with you as the same may not be available here on island. If on formula the best water to use in the mix is bottled Volvic - available at pretty much all supermarkets. And if not on formula, especially if you are coming from a cooler climate - please drink lots and lots of water - much more than is usually recommended for a feeding mother.

To me this is a lovely age to travel with your new little one - you can take them everywhere, feed them everywhere, change them anywhere.

If you need any more info on anything just let me know - I am a very easy go lucky mum, but my sister researches everything!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dengue??

thanks, gang.

i REALLY appreciate it.

we travel often enough to know to ask those who actually reside at our destination for advice...

as well as...enough to know that unless we're headed to some war torn country...people actually live lives there, too.

always best to see how life is lived and judge from there.

we really appreciate it...and, who knows...maybe we'll run into one another without even knowing it!

thank you again...we truly appreciate it.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dengue??

just spent 8 days in sxm. mosquitoes were AWFUL despite island spraying. bug repellent i used was a waste! i got bitten even in the daytime!!! HOPING i haven't contracted DENGUE or CHICUNGANA!!!!

Bellmore, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: dengue??

Your reply was so helpful. Just curious do you know if any of the stores or pharamcies carry Similac Alimentum Ready to feed Formula?

6. Re: dengue??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin