We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

We will be there Early October for only five days. We are both in our mid 50s. We like to spend time on a quiet beach with nice sand, calm waters and good swimming as long as we can keep our feet on the bottom. We are staying near the airport and will be renting a car from someplace. Is it worth going to st Barts for the day? (Wedding Anniversary) . Thank you

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

====================

Here are the beaches. Your best choice would be Le Galion, also Little Bay and Friar's Bay....beaches near the airport such as Mullet experience both calm and rough days you do have to be mindful of the conditions as they can change very quickly .

================

A trip to St. Barth's is always fun, by sea it will be very rough going over so be prepared, a better choice would be Anguilla, a short ride in the channel.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

Anse Marcel also has a very calm beautiful beach.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

In addition to the beaches Bobcat mentioned, I would add Pinel Island. It is a 7 minute boat ride from Cul de Sac (between Grand Case and Orient). Very calm water and you can wade out very easily - no slope. You can rent chairs and an umbrella and there are a couple of beach bars/restaurants. It is an island off shore of SXM, but it is so close i (in my head) still think of it as SXM. Whereas Anguilla or St. Barths are day trips to altogether different islands. Also, you can fly to St. Barths if you wish rather than endure a potentially rough ferry ride of a little over an hour.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 17:11
Philipsburg, St...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

I second IslandResident with Pinel Island - very calm and beautiful. The restaurants are also excellent - my favorite is grilled whole snapper at Karibuni. While both St Barths and Anguilla are beautiful, if it is a great beach, relaxation, and good food you are looking for Pinel is the spot.

BobCat does also have a good selection, but I would put them in the opposite order. Friar's Bay is also beautiful with a good restaurant (the one all the way on the left when facing the sea), but is is often a little rocky as you enter the water and can be a bit steep. On a beautiful calm day Grande Case is also lovely in front of Calmos Cafe / Lolos area, or the little beach at the Grande Case Beach Club - at this beach - if there are no waves it is beautiful and easy to swim.

Le Gallion I find a bit weedy on the bottom. It is called baby beach because it is always calm, and shallow a long way out. The water is clear, and the beach sandy and white, but a little weedy between the toes.

But still # one is Pinel Island.

5. Re: Best Beaches for swimming with calm water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20