We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Washington...
Level Contributor
184 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Maybe I am just lucky, but whenever I have gone to the beach in De/NJ, I just leave all of my belongings on the beach- usually a small amount of cash, my phone, car keys, chair, umbrella ect. But with all of this talk about never leaving anything in your car, how safe is it to leave things on the beach? If we rent a chair for the day, is the rental guy there keeping watch? We will be on SXM for our honeymoon, and it would really suck if one of us had to stay with our stuff the whole time. I can leave the cash and MP3 player at the timeshare, but what about keys, towels ect?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Ask a neighbor on the beach to watch your stuff! We swim within sight of our stuff, even though we bring next to nothing to the beach. Your neighbors are your best friends!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

This last year we bought a bag that was mentioned on this site that has a zipper closure with a stainless steel chain with combo lock built in. Came in two sizes. We got the large one and it worked great to put our camera and a few other things in for safe keeping. We chained it to both the lounge chair and umbrella pole. It's not fool proof but it's the best for us. We still keep an eye while swimming and ask our neighbors to look after our place as we do theirs.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Just to put it in perspective....

It is safer than at home in the US both at the beach and in our experience, around the island.

Not as safe as an AI compound but don't worry about your towels getting taken while swimming.

We have been visiting annually for about 10 years and have never seen any safety problem anywhere.

We stay on the French side and are not out late so that could be a factor.

Just use common sense and enjoy.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Thanks for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing. I have another question about driving on St. Maarten, is a US driver's license sufficient when you are driving around or do you need to bring your passport with you?

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Keep your passport locked up in your room safe. All you need driving around is your license.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

Make a color copy of your passport and keep it in the car with your rental papers. Not required, but good to have a second ID.

Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

My car was stolen while on the island~ I wouldnt want ANY of my personal information in the car ~ just to clarify....the keys to my car were stolen from our condo. I like the idea of duplicates, but I would not keep them in your car.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

When I went to Hawaii I picked up a waterproof bag from Amazon that could carry my phone, some cash/cards, and even my small camera. I wore it while I swam and it worked great keeping everything dry.

This is the one I bought but there are others available: amazon.com/gp/…

9. Re: What do you do with your stuff while swimming? Theft concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:17