We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

My flight is arriving at SXM around 12:15P or so on Christmas Eve. We'll get our rental car and then proceed to get lunch and shop for some groceries before we head out to the condo on Dawn Beach. I know that many markets will close early on Christmas Eve. Looking for items such as French sausages, eggs, cheese, olive oil, fresh veggies, potato chips. And maybe some delicious French pastries for dessert.

Any butchers, markets, patisseries open in Marigot past 2P on Christmas Eve? Check-in at the condo isn't until 4P so I'm a bit hesitant about picking up meat and leaving it out for a while before refrigeration. Also any wine shops that will be open there as well? Would I also be able to find a place open for lunch on Christmas Eve on the French side? Or would I have more luck with groceries and restaurants on the Dutch side?

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

everything is open all day on Christmas Eve day including all supermarket and restaurants on both sides of the island..nothing closes early

buena, nj
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

I would re-think buying chips there - STICKER SHOCK!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

American snack food is expensive here.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

Glad to hear that things will operate as usual on Christmas Eve.

Good to know about the chips. I may try to bring my own actually as I'm kind of picky about my chips. If I'm going to have something that's not that healthful, might as well be something I love. I probably wouldn't be able to find my brand (Tyrell's) in St. Martin. And if I did it would probably cost a fortune as it's pretty pricey in the US as it's an English brand.

Right now my plan is to drop by US Supermarche to pick up my food. Hopefully they'll have everything that I need.

5. Re: Grocery shopping and lunch on Christmas Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:16