We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Philipsburg, St...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Hi all,

We (my boyfriend and i) are already almost 20 days in St Martin looking for a boat going south. I feel like we are stuck here, still no luck in finding people who would take us. We want to be crew and help on board but seems like nobody wants extra crew. We spend all our time at the marinas, already checked couple of times all the major marinas, shipyards and even some small ones. Put messages on the walls in some bars, the yacht club, went to Shrimpy's and asked him to announce our message on the radio, went to some charter companies, keep checking all the websites where people might look for crew..... and still nothing. The thing is that we really want to leave the island as soon as we can, it's crazy expensive for us here and also it's not backpackers friendly but it's for the tourists who are here for holidays. Also we are not using airplanes, we can only leave by boat. So what else can we do? Where to go, who to ask? The cargo boats to Dominica want to charge 120 usd per person and they don't want to hear about working out our way instead of paying. Also one more question - any good place for wild camping on the island where is not private property and nobody will disturb us if we put the tent at sunset and pick it up at sunrise? So far we try to stay up in the mountains but some parts of them are private properties and we don't want to have any problems.

Thanks for any ideas, advices!

Tery

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

If you have no money how about going home...the orthodox way

Philipsburg, St...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Thanks but no :) We travel with not much money and try to safe them as long as possible because we will be on the road at least 2 more years. This doesn't mean that we have no money at all. If we can find a boat to crew on, it would be wonderful experience, if not we will be forced to get on the cargo. Once we reach South America money are not so necessary anymore, traveling will be way easier like in any other continent. Islands are difficult because hitchhiking a boat is not like hitchhiking a car :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Wow. Stay safe out there. Some place can be dangerous!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

How did you get there?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

and what passport do you hold? And how old are you? and.....

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Hi Tery! Best of luck to you on this grand adventure - I would love to hear more about your daily experiences thus far! My only idea is to post this over on Traveltalkonline if you haven't already.

Philipsburg, St...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Well here are some answers:

How we got here? - By cruise ship from Roma to here :) They had a very cheap last minute tickets and after 13 days we disembarked here (they were going to Miami but we can't, need a visa for US).

What passports we hold - Bulgarian, EU. No need of visas for most islands so less problems :) We are 29/31 years old.

The trip is actually at the beginning, we want to reach South America, then hitchhike there for a year or so, then move to Central and North America till we reach Canada and then find a way to get back home, by water of course :) We are both very experienced travelers, i hitchhiked pretty much the whole world alone, without the Americas and Antarctica so that's why we are here :))

irol0301, thanks i haven't checked this one. Will post there too, maybe someone knows something. The most difficult is to get in touch with the right people so they see you are trustworthy and give you a chance. Our daily life now is pretty much marinas and internet :) The days before we did lots of hiking and saw most interesting places on the island. It's very beautiful but i feel like we must move on, the lack of adventures is killing me :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Well you are going to need the same documents to get into Canada as you would to get into the USA

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Tip for future travels: If you wish to hitchhike, don't get off a ship/boat on an Island...

Edited: 30 November 2013, 12:13
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Saint Martin, looking for a boat going south?

Great advice Elmer:)

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin