We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns...

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Safety concerns...

I will be staying in Grand Case for a week in April, staying at Le Petit. I'm traveling with my wife and 1 year old daughter. We will not be out late a night, nor early in the mornings, but I am worried about possible crime traveling with my daughter especially. We will be renting a car, and will have to leave her car seat in the car (another worry). And to boot, now there is Chikungunya floating around? I am super excited but also am stressing!!! Can anyone please ease my concerns?

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety concerns...

Staying at Le Petit and in Grand Case, and not being out at the times you mention, you really should have no safety concerns for your family. Just follow the rule of leaving nothing in your car when you are away from it (the exception being your child's car seat - there have been prior discussions on this topic and no one has ever had a car seat stolen) and you should be good to enjoy your stay on SXM with confidence and comfort. Also, one more step you can take is for your wife not to carry her purse over her shoulder or around her arm secured by a strap that can be pulled away easily. But this is a step we don't even follow or think about normally unless we are out late at night. My prediction is that you will forget about this issue soon after you arrive and just enjoy your time on the island. Have a great stay. Le Petit is an excellent choice.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety concerns...

I visited St. Martin around the Christmas holiday. We went to Grand Case a couple of nights for dinner, both times parking in the lot. First night we parked far from the road. There were a group of kids hanging around nearby. We're not sure if it was them but when we came back from dinner, somebody had tried to take off our license plate. He or she didn't succeed but the plate was all bent up. The second night we decided to park a lot closer to the road. We were accosted by the homeless guy asking for three dollars. We told him we'd pay him when we got back -- he followed us for a bit then stopped. Our biggest fear was that he was going to do something to the car but nothing happened. First night, our dinner reservation was for 7:00P. Second night our reservation was for 6:30P -- so not super late.

We also had somebody either throw something or shoot a pellet onto our windshield while the car was parked. Either that, or something fell on the car from a tree. Left a small hole and a crack on our windshield.

We were on the island for six days. I didn't feel unsafe but I didn't feel like I could completely let my guard down either. Living in NYC, I never have my guard down so it's nothing new for me. But I can understand if you may feel a bit concerned, especially if you've got a young daughter. Everybody has a different level of comfort. So hopefully this will be helpful as to whether or not St. Martin is for you.

And, yes, I'm worried about the chikungunya virus as well! I was spraying oil of lemon eucalyptus (recommended by the CDC) all over as I didn't want to deal with DEET. I was bit a few times in a few spots where I missed applying. I'm still waiting for the incubation time to be over.

3. Re: Safety concerns...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:18