We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Semmana

J P
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
La Semmana

Hello,

I am thinking about staying in St. Maarten before we head to Anguilla. I had heard from a travel agent that La Semmana was very nice, however we found a post that showed roaches in the room from a comment in Nov. 2013.

I didn't see any other posts that said they have bugs.

So, does anyone have any similar feedback on La Semmana? Really like their beach, so this is too bad. And does anyone know of a clean hotel on the island, preferably on the French side and away from the cruise ship port?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Semmana

There are a lot of clean hotels in SXM! Bugs?? This is the tropics. You will see "bugs" all over, even in clean hotels! On another note, the Petit Hotel on Grand Case beach is the best. Close to fantastic restaurants, nice beach but not sure about bugs.

J P
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Semmana

thank you.

I would expect some bugs, but are roaches common in the caribbean? I was thinking they are associated with filth, but I could be wrong.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Semmana

I just quickly looked at the reviews, it appears to be a lot more great reviews than poor reviews, why don't you look at the good reviews and put your faith in them? I am 100% convinced that if you looked hard enough you could find something bad at every hotel you come across. It is the islands there will be bugs...was it a roach or was it a cricket or a beetle, or a June bug...who knows. If you are simply there one night is it really all that important? It is one of the top hotels on the island, we ate there about 5 years ago and it was lovely...but again if you look hard enough you will find something bad about every location.

Level Contributor
75 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Semmana

Roaches are ubiquitous. And one of the cleanest bugs on the planet. They clean themselves more than hundreds of times per day. La Samanna is probably the nicest place to stay on the island. I would book there in a heart beat.

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
273 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Semmana

Ok, I will give my two cents on La Samanna. I have stayed there twice on my way to Anguilla. I would not choose to stay there again. I found the prices to be very high, and the service very poor. Everyone we spoke to on staff was very unhappy and unwilling to help us. Our first trip ever to Anguilla, we had never been to St. Martin and didn't know how the ferry operated. We ask several staffers at the hotel, and no one would help us. They all acted like it was a bother. I wish I had a recommendation for a better hotel. I am not super familiar with St. Martin, but I think for the money, and the amount of time you will be there, there are better options.

J P
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: La Semmana

I come from the Midwest and if cockroaches were found in a hotel or restaurant it would be something big, and would shut the place down or it would be investigated. It could be a regional thing.

So in short, why would there be a cockroach found in a hotel room in St. Maarten, just asking?

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:56
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Semmana

Yes, there might be, so basically you are stuck in Midwest...can't go to St. Barths, because you are afraid of flying, or Anguilla because you don't like boats...,so basically you are just trolling,

Read the thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147338-i760-k70…

J P
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: La Semmana

This is abuse.

You have no idea who I am or anything about me.

I plan to file a complaint against you.

If I can't ask questions on this site and get beat up by anyone calling themself a Destination Expert, then someone needs to know what is going on and stop it immediately.

Furthermore, I didn't ask for advice on Prague or Bohemia.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 04:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
166 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Semmana

The problem here is semantics. "Cockroaches" that are found in St. Martin (or any other tropical setting) are large and are called waterbugs, or Palmettos. They should not be confused with the tiny roaches that are associated with filth. Anywhere you find water, be it Florida, Bermuda, St Martin etc, you will find palmettos.

10. Re: La Semmana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:18