We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach erosion

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
beach erosion

OK. Something I forgot to mention after I came back Saturday for a 10 day trip is the beach erosion.

Maybe someone living on the island can comment on this. We were in st Martin two years ago and some of the beaches we loved so much like Baie rouge, Maho and Mullet look VERY different now.

Baie Rouge is almost only rocks. no sand near the water. I compared pictures from two years ago and pictures now and it's astonishing. very disturbing. what happened ?????

We used to be able to comfortably sit on Maho as well. Maho is now a very tiny bit of sand near the road, and the water almost climb all the way to the top, which makes things very uncomfortable when its crowded by cruise vacationeers.

Same with Mullet. I remember seeing 3-4 rows of chairs, then sand then water on Mullet bay. Now, only 2 rows, rocks near and in the water, and water going up much closer to the buildings than 2 years ago.

what's happening ? glacier melting ?

water level rising ?

are the authorities doing anything about this ?

Is this something recurrent that will get fixed eventually ?

Patrick

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach erosion

Mother Nature. Happens all the time. What do you think the authorities can do?

Maho has the biggest beach in front of RI that they have had in a decade.

She will bring the sand back in her own time.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach erosion

it happened in the past and the beaches recovered ?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach erosion

Every day the beaches here change.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach erosion

of course...and much difference in the seasons....

PL3
CT
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach erosion

Grand Case pretty much disappeared in the last two days, the wind went a little north and the swell came up, It'll come back, it always does...

Philipsburg, St...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: beach erosion

Happens all the time and I find it exciting as an old beach feels new. One week it's a huge stretch and the next only rocks. Simply mother nature doing her job. Nothing to worry about.

7. Re: beach erosion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin