We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Safety

Olympia, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Road Safety

We are traveling to St. Martin and are considering renting a motorcycle. Are the roads in good condition? Are drivers safe and careful? We would love the experience, but we've got two kids to come home to. Any insight would be appciated.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Safety

The roads are NOT in good condition and the drivers are NOT safe and careful.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Safety

What has been said is true but to be fair the worst drivers are the motorcycle ones....I would never rent a motorcycle on the island.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Safety

Rent a motorcycle in St. Maarten is very dangerous because nobody follows the rules... I know many people that have passed away due to motorcycle accidents in St. Maarten. Get a car and be safe! And on top of all of that, there is a lot of motorcycle theft too...

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Safety

Agree with the other posts. The only time I've ever felt unsafe on SXM was while driving a rental car home from a restaurant at night we were nearly run off the road by a crazy driver passing 3 cars on a hill/blind curve. The driving can be crazy & the roads, although much improved over the last 2 years, are not like home...no shoulder, lots of potholes, blind curves, etc. Be safe.

Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Safety

yes, do not get a motorcycle

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Safety

When we were there last Summer we saw tourists riding any sort of rented vehicle, helmetless, of course, on the very poor roads of St. maarten. I am taalking four wheeler ATVs, mopeds and motorcycles. in my view, those folks were likely drunk, dumb or any combination of the two.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
637 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Safety

Things to do before motorcycling on St Margin:

Get your will in order

Name guardians for your kids

Increase your life insurance to pay for kids care and college

Visit important relatives

Take out a medical evac. insurance plan.

Rent a car and surround yourself with some metal.

8. Re: Road Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten