We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

Hi guys,

I read everything about this subject on forum, but I'm still a little bit confused... I know that some credit cards provide the collision coverage, but after reading some warnings, I've decided to pay for car rental in cash to avoid any unexpected additional charge to my credit card.

I just want to know, if it's enough to pay only liability coverage or should I pay insurance for collision coverage also (since it won't be covered by credit card)??

Thanks!!!!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

It's a good idea to have both collision and liability. .

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

If yu rent from Hertz the free liability is included. By all means get the collision. I have had no issues with using my CC for our car rental from Hertz in SXM over a 15 year span.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

The answer depends on your ability to pay for a financial loss if were to have an accident.

You definitely need liability coverage ( which pays the other party if they are injured or if you damage their property. Collision coverage pays for damage to the vehicle you are driving. If you don't have collision coverage you will be responsible for paying any damage out of your own pocket.

Evaluate the risk you are willing to take and act accordingly.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,839 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

They will get the imprint of your credit card to cover excess....so a credit card is a must, without it they won't rent.

5. Re: Car insurance: liability covarage or collision or both???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16