We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Hi,

My husband, 18-year-old daughter, and myself will be here in early January, on a Friday, getting in around 10 am. We can't decide between Orient Beach here or a day-trip to Anguilla. We need to be back on the ship at 4:30, is this even possible with the time crunch? We don't want to miss our ship!

On our first visit, we rode around the island, shopped in Marigot, did the harbor cruise, and snorkeled off Pinel Island. That was 3 years ago.

What would you recommend doing? Thanks for all your help.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Unless your boat offers a direct ferry to Anguilla you will not have enough time. Orient would be best.

Olathe, Ks
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Just curious, what did you do the first time?

I would also recommend Orient and agree with the Anguilla comment by Denver2SXM. Keep in mind that total nudity of both men and women walking the beach can occur on Orient. This is more true near Club Orient than on the opposite end of the beach. it is usually worth a lot of snickers and laughs since it is usually those that shouldn't be, but it is something to keep in mind when taking your daughter.

It may be more embarassing for your husband...........

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Try one of the beaches on the dutch side that are reasonably convenient to the cruse ship port. Mullet bay beach is a very nice choice, that is generally not too crowded during weekdays, as most of the cruise ship tours do not stop there (or so it was as of last march) Another good choice a few miles up the road just over the dutch/french border is baie rouge beach. both beaches have restruants, and misc. beach equipment

Sint Maarten
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Spend the day on Pinel Island, off of Orient!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

No direct ferry from the ship to Anguilla--too bad!

We've already been to Pinel Island--went topless for the first time there. It was nice, but I want to do something different this time.

Our daughter has never been to a topless/nude beach before--this would be her first experience. We're going to some European beaches this summer in 2007--maybe further down the beach from the Orient Club will do. I would hate to leave there a second time and say I didn't go. I hear it's a beautiful beach!

I do remember hearing about the much older men on Orient Beach.

Thank you all,

Suzanne

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

I would go to Orient. I don't know what you are talking about when you say the "much older men". There are people of all ages and countries there. I would just stay away from the "natuaralist" side. Be aware though, that there are still a few people who will walk the entire beach while nude, and that there is a bar further down towards Mt. Vernon that seems to have a few naked people sunning themselves as well.

Despite the different sights, this is a great beach to go to. You should not miss it.

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

Friar's Bay or Bay Rouge would be good beaches. Either rent a car on the dock or schedule a pickup and dropoff with a taxi driver so you don't miss the boat.

Or spend the morning at Mullet Bay, then plane watching on Maho Beach

8. Re: Second trip to Island, what should we do this time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin