We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

I want to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Every cruise ship goes to St Maarten/St Martin. I have read on Trip Advisor and Frommors that crime is prevalent on this island. I have read about scams, car break ins and don't go to non-populated areas.

Why does anyone go here? Would you bring a nine-year-old girl to this island?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

Crime is not prevalent. Come and have a great time.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

I spoke with the cruise lines. They said there were no issues. I even went on TripAdvisor to review my own city. It cracked me up "...you don't need a bodyguard in San Diego." I never even thought I might need one.

Thanks for the feedback.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

I go every year and have never had a problem. As long as you use common sense - you will be ok.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

That's the key. Common sense. For example, don't pull out your wallet and start counting money in public, open the trunk of your parked car and put items in the trunk in plain view of others, drive on deserted roads late at night.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring a 9 year old as long as you use common sense like you would most places.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

If you're on a cruise, you're only going to be on the island during the day time. Take a cruise-sponsored excursion that tours the island, goes to the beach, and/or shops in town. OR take the excursion to Anguilla. That way you don't have to worry.

The stats for crime are higher for St. Maarten/St. Martin than some other islands, but you can reduce your risk substantially by staying with the group (not always the most fun way to do things, but if you're concerned, it certainly is an option).

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

There is crime everywhere you go just take the same precautions you would take anywhere...You might want to just hang around Philipsberg for your first time there...great shopping...has a beach off the boardwalk..good places to eat...take a tour when you have more time to spend...It is a great Island...come back and stay for a week sometime..

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

We just booked our 8th trip to the island for later this year. We walk to dinner at night, we go to the beach every day, we rent a car.

As others have said, common sense prevails. We do lock our car doors when we are out and about, we don't flash money, I don't wear my good jewelry about. Just exercise the same caution you would use in Sand Diego, Boston, Chicago, or where ever you may travel.

Another good source is www.traveltalkonline.com.

Enjoy

St. maarten
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

As an American living on the island I feel perfectly safe. Last spring there were some high profile crimes but the police have stepped up their efforts and every one of the cases was solved and resulted in a conviction.

The island is a mix of the very rich, the very poor and visitors. There is probably more crime than the Virgin Islands but much less than Trinidad, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

As stated above, common sense goes a long way. The tiny chance of a problem should not keep you from the beaches, dining, shopping, and fun to be had on St Maarten.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

Just for info...there are a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises -- Explorer of the Seas & Granduer of the Seas that leave from Liberty, New Jersey & Baltimore, respectively -- that do the Eastern Caribbean, but do not stop in St. Martin. Both trips have interesting stops.

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Maarten/St. Martin - Crime

I've been to St.Martin/St.Maarten twice so far and will be going back when the cruise I am going on docks there. I never had a problem there and I'm sure you won't either. They have amazing shopping (diamonds are more affordable down there). I took my 14 years old boy and 10 year old girl tehre in the past and went back when they were 20 and 16. Go and enjoy the island!