We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Alabama
12 posts
Save Topic
Weather

My trip to St. Martin is this weekend and I'm concerned about the weather. The forecast says that it will be cloudy with a chance of rain each day. Does the island have small showers or is the rain really heavy? I'm hoping for sun!! Also, should I bring warm clothing? Thanks.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

Yes, rain usually comes in the form of widely scattered and very brief showers (oftentimes on a daily basis). Not unusual for it to rain in one area and have bright sun 1/4 mile away. Bring plenty of sun block - leave umbrella at home. You won't need warm clothing either - daytime temps should be in the low to mid 80's F.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

This time of year I bring a light cotton long sleeve coverup as it can get a little chilly on the shoulders some evenings due to the wind. I keep it in the car and have actually only used it twice. But it's nice to have.

The forecast ALWAYS says it's going to rain, and it usually does. For 10 minutes somewhere on the island. If it looks like a washout, go to the other side of the island!

Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

Thanks so much to both of you for helping me out. I haven't had much time to research this trip and now it will be much easier for me to pack before we leave tomorrow morning!

We are staying on Grand Case--we chose it for the restaurants. We don't really have anything else planned as of yet, but after reading all these posts I don't think we will have a problem with finding things to do! Do you think it's a "must" to visit one of the neighboring islands? Thank you.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

In something like 11 visits to SXM, we have not yet travelled to a neighboring island. Always say we will, but sand gravity takes over and we get stuck on the beautiful beach every time!

In Grand Case, be sure to get to Calmos Cafe on Sunnday evenings. It's on our list of new things to try when we arrive next week. It's more casual than most most places in GC, but reputedly has great food, it's on the beach and has a live reggae band on Sunday evenings!

And on Tuesday night, be sure to be in town for "Harmony Night".

Have a great trip!

Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

What's your favorite fancy/dressy restaurant in GC?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Sorry, the only restaurant in Grand Case we've been to (besides the lolo's) is Bistro Caribes and someone else was paying. GC is to expensive for us and we can get just as good food elsewhere on the island.

Fancy dress is not really required anywhere. But if you choose to dress up, you can.

Others can chime in with their favorites.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

We have been there 6 times and with the exception of one really soaking night in May have only experienced showers here and there on the island. You can look far away from you and know it is pouring there and it will be sunny where you are.

We love Le California in Grand Case. The prices aren't too bad either.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
777 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

We like to do a few upscale restaurants each trip. I like to cook and we get great ideas. For places that you will get a fantastic upscale meal, service and ambiance on the French side that we have tried: ($$$$) Sol e Luna, Spiga, ($$$) Bistro Caribes, Tabba Kahdy, ($$) Le Taitu. I'll add California ($$-$$$) however it has been sold recently and not a lot comments since the sale. On our list for the next trip that get consistenly good reviews are Pressior, Le Cottage, Alabama.

Ottawa Ontario
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

In response to the question about visiting other islands I would say that visiting Anguilla's Shoal Bay is a must. Even though I like the beaches of St Martin/St Maarten, Shoal Bay's white sand and azure sea is breathtakng. As for retaurants Montmarte $$$ in Maho area and L'Auberge Gourmand in Grand Case $$$.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather

I was there last weekend - afternoon showers - brief - weather was 85 degrees and gorgeous.