We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

mesa,arizona
1 post
Save Topic
How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

I'm looking to move to the island in less then 5 years,any chance of getting any kind of work?ScottI'm willing to accept anything from foodservice to selling Timeshares,Hope to hear back,Scott

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

I don't want to shoot down your dream, as we have also wanted to some day do the same thing, but unfortunately it is extremely difficult to find work on the island unless you work in a specialized area that is not possible to be found on the island already. Unless you live in France or Holland (or in any corresponding country that I may not be familiar with), you would need to have the place of employment apply for you and fill out all necessary paperwork and hope that a resident of the island did not qualify ahead of you. At least this is how I have been led to believe.

Bottom line is this...if you can start a business on the island but technically not work at that place, then it is possible but even that is hard to do without following the law EXACTLY.

Most people from the US who move to the island are people who are retired and can physically vouch for their economic stability so that they are not considered a hardship to the island.

You can apply for temporary residence but again, you are not allowed to work and if you get caught working illegally, will be forced to leave.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

the unemployment rate in SXM is quite high and now is not a good time to come to the island looking for work. getting work permits is incredibly difficult,and I do not advise that you come here and work illegally..

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

I see you are from Arizona, so assuming you are a US citizen you'll find it 1,000 times easier to relocate to either Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra or any of the US Virigin Islands since you already have citizenship/work status on those islands. Moving/working on one of those island is as easy as moving to or working in the next town from where you now live - the only different is the cost to move your belonging and to get you to your destination. You can also work without having to apply for a Work Permit.

Relocating to any other Caribbean Island is the same as moving to any foreign country. You cannot just show up one day and expect to take up residency and/or work. In general you can expect the following:

You have to apply for residency and often have to invest a pre-determined amount in a property or business that provides jobs for the locals and prove you have the financial means to support yourself without working. Once your residency is approved there are often fees to be paid. Residency DOES NOT give you the ability to work on the island. For that you need a Work Permit, which as others have said, are hard to come by. You have to have a unique skill and your potential employer must prove there are no locals qualified to fill the position. Work Permits are usually good only for that position and only for 1 year and there's never a guarantee they will be renewed.

Now here's another reality check - with the exception of Puerto Rico jobs in the islands are highly dependant on the tourist industry. With the current state of the world economy "liesure travel" is down considerably from prior years and many employers are cutting back on their staffing. As a result unemployment on most islands is now quite high and the chance of finding employment is relatively low.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
North Carolina
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

As the others have said, you should link up with an employer first. My spouse is a physician and she was offered a position as well as assistance in credentialing and the residency procedure by the offering hospital.

I personally know of three financial entities in Philipsburg that can shoe horn in a person or two if you have the right credentials. Don't short change yourself. Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Philipsburg
Philipsburg
St Martin / St Maarten
St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

does your spouse actually have her papers yet? I know for a fact that the medical center on the Dutch side has had great difficulty in getting work and/or residence papers for qualified physicians they have wanted to hire.

it is almost impossible these days.

6. Re: How hard would it be for myself to get a job in St.Maarten?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Philipsburg