We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Which Philipsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

We are considering going to St. Maarten for the first time. My husband has been diving at several islands. Most recently he had spectacular dives in Grand Cayman. Can anyone tell us their experiences diving in St. Maarten?

Thanks!!

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Just to let you know, if you search back a few pages, you may find good information on the St. Maarten section of Trip Advisor. The dives around the island are not great and so I would advise you book some dive times around the island of Saba which is visible from the Dutch side. My neighbor just returned from his trip and loved it. Saba is a dormant volcano and so I would think your sites will be awesome.

And just for some fun trivia, Saba was the island they chose to film the distance shots of the ominous island that King Kong lived on in the original movie. And when you do see it from a distance with the clouds around the tops of the mountains, it will appear from a distance just as mysterious and foreboding although the island of Saba really is quite beautiful and the people lovely.

Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Thanks! Your input has been very helpful.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Saba is a spectacular place to dive but there are many dive sites as great as some of Saba's on SXM.

I have logged close to 100 dives on SXM amd aruond 12 on Saba. Though I enjoyed Saba be aware that it is an all day committment to go to Saba. The sites between St Barts and SXM that the SXM dive outfits go to are very nice. So are the ones closer in. As long as your blowing bubbles you'll enjoy yourself.

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Where abouts would you suggest to see the most fish? What beach area should we go to? Traveling there in Nov and my husband an avid snorkler and can dive down far with the snorkle.

Thanks

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

Lots to see at Little Bay beyond the Divi beach. Fish, cannons and sunken boats.

Ivyland...
Level Contributor
441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

I've dived both in Sint Maarten and Saba and Saba was very nice. We stayed for two nights in Saba. In Sint Maarten we dove a wreck and a reef. One unique thing about Saba is diving pillars. They have wall dives too. The water is clear as well. One of the neatest things I have seen diving besides loads of fish is seahorses which I've only seen on Saba. I'm sure they exist elsewhere except they are very hard to see.

For snorkling around Sint Maarten, I like the tour boat Random Wind. They have a website: http://www.randomwind.com/ it's one of our favorite snorkeling trips and cruising trips in one.

7. Re: Scuba diving in ST. Maarten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2010, 06:17