We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with choice of resort

Which Philipsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with choice of resort

Which resort is better-Oyster Bay Beach Resort or Pelican Bay Resort. Any pros/cons? Any idea about condition of units?

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with choice of resort

Although I have not stayed in either, both have their pros and cons. With Pelican, it will all depend on what room you'll be getting. Since it's an older resort, some of the rooms show the wear and tear much more readily. And some rooms had their view removed due to the Pelican Marina Residences building being recently built in front. The location is fantastic if you want a plethera of restaurants and some places for entertainment. The area is hectic traffic-wise but in the evening when a person doesn't want to drive but wants a variety of restaurants to choose from in walking or short driving distance, this is the place to be.

With Oyster Bay, you would have a better shot of getting a very nice view and I would assume that the rooms are a tad nicer than the Pelican rooms but it is in a more remote section of the island and so if you want entertainment at night or restaurants other than the few int he area, you will need to drive the roads which I have found to be dark and winding, especially when it's raining. The beach at Oyster Bay is better (Dawn Beach) and you are closer to the French side so if you want to frequent Orient, it's a very easy drive and so it all depends on your preferences which you haven't really specified.

The above should get you started.

Edited: 02 January 2010, 00:37
New England
Level Contributor
51 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with choice of resort

Dawn Beach is better than Simpson Bay Beach? Is what ways? I was of the understanding that Dawn Beach was smaller, more rocky and more waves and that Simpson Bay was calm with more sand and larger. Please clarify for me. I have not yet been to either, but am coming down this month.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with choice of resort

Perhaps "different" would a better way of describing them than "better" - it all depends upon what you are looking for.

Why not visit both? This island was made for beach hopping.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with choice of resort

both have serious problems with some of their rooms. we were lucky at OBBR. while extremely small at least our room had been somewhat updated. both resorts have new sections but getting into the new units at OBBR is very difficult unless you are an owner. OBBR is a smaller resort and other than the condition of a lot of units we loved the dawn beach area. sxm is not an island where you stay at the resort's beach all the time. you explore the different beaches. OBBR is on the french/dutch border in a more laid back residential setting. there are some very nice restaurants in the area and you are in close proximity to orient beach and grand case. it is not commercialized or americanized/congested. i would recommend that you read the reviews for each resort. OBBR just dropped again from 6 to 7. we have not stayed at Pelican but know others who have. while pelican is now under the managment of the "royal resorts" (which is a very well run ts company with a lot of highly awarded facilities in mexico) i don't believe their standards have truly been fully implemented yet at the pelican. feel free to pm me if you want more info on the dawn beach area or OBBR specifically.

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with choice of resort

There is a difference between Simpson Bay Beach and the beach at the Pelican. Simpson Bay Beach is across the water on the side of Mary's Boon and Karakter's and is a fantastic beach but again, not part of the Pelican and not easily walkable like one would find at Oyster Bay BC getting to Dawn Beach. I have read mixed reviews on Pelican's beach (Kim Sha).

lakeville
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with choice of resort

there are no pro's to any of these.... have you been to St. maarten?? If not I would not recommend it.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with choice of resort

I'm booked into boththe first 2 wks of Feb. Pelican Marina Residences is not old. Pelican may be, but not the residences. I've researched the differences, but it'll be a matter of taste as to which is "better.".

8. Re: Need help with choice of resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:16