We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

Which Philipsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

I have just been diagnosed with MS and been told that heat is likely to trigger my symptoms and to try to stay cool. Can anyone recommend places to go that have air conditiong: restaurants, museums (accessible with a cane), or other activities for 2 adults and 2 children under 12?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

Try to book your trip between thanksgiving and easter for a cooler weather. Most hotels have air conditioned restaurants, and year round you have cooler nights and thers's the trade winds that help. It may be a good idea to request a handicapped room to be sure you are booked in an accesible location. Enjoy your trip. I wish i could be of more help.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

good advice on the above post. Unfortunately many of the activities we have on the island are out door and many of the restaurants are open air.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

You might have better luck with air conditioning/indoor restaurants on the Dutch side of the island, it's a bit more built up and modern than the French side. But, as with most islands in the Caribbean a lot of the activities are outdoors and you'll find lots of open air restaurants, even when not on the beach. I find it's a lot more humid than in Hawaii, and there isn't a lot of relief in the evening (IMO), but at least you won't have direct sun. Not sure about museums or other indoor cultural activities, I think they are few and far between in St. Martin.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

There are several museums on the island. The one I have been in is not really accessible, with narrow stairs. There are many cultural activities that take place on the island throughout the year. Check the local newspaper when you are here.

As stated above, if you come during "winter" you will find little humidity and cool evenings.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

Would it be better to ask which places are not cane accessible or air conditioned? Unfortunately we booked this trip last year and will be there in the summer. On the up side we are traveling with another couple, so if I can't go out and do things with the kids, at least they won't be stuck in the room with me.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

Take your family to Yvette's. French Quarter/Orleans up a side street next to THE gas station. There is a small sign in front of the gas station. Any general map will get you there as the gas station is on the main road between Philipsburg and Orient.

Indoors in what was once a family home. Air conditioned and easy to walk from car to front door. A few steps going in. A bit of a drainage ditch to step over. The fare is local creole freshly cooked at a very reasonable price. Consistent, excellent food including fresh fish cooked perfectly, conch and dumplings, many stewed and curry offerings. The best johnny cakes I've had and a wonderful coconut tart for dessert. We've dined there 3 times in the last 3 weeks with visiting friends and family.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g2010748-d…

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

If I remember correctly from last summer, I believe IZI (Italian restaurant in Simpson Bay) is air conditioned and food was good. If not AC, it is indoors at least.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

This may sound naive, but a few old fashioned tricks may give you peace of mind. Bring a small collapsible ice cooler to keep cold drinks for you on hand, and a small ice cold towel to pass over your skin as needed. Also bring a pretty hat that shades your face, or maybe even an umbrella. Most people are very helpful specially if they see you with a cane, crutches, or wheelchair. My mother was in a wheelchair a good part of her life and i will be forever grateful to all the strangers who helped when you least expected it. Just go and enjoy, carpe diem.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indoor with air conditioning restaurants and activities

Thank you everyone for the tips.