We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel experts need your help one more time

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel experts need your help one more time

I was in St Maarten this past July and fell in love with it so I am going back in November to celebrate my birthday. With your help I stayed at the Pelican Marina Residences and loved it! I liked that it was in the mix of things, but spent most of time (just about everyday) at Orient Beach. My dilemma is that I got a very good at the Radisson, (the Pelican Marina is more expensive this time around). I am wondering if I should give the Radisson a try or pay more money for the Pelican. I am concerned about that the Radisson is isolated.

For this trip I of course would like to go to back to Orient, Baie Rouge and try out Anguilla and Mullet Bay (missed it the last time). I am more interested in cheap eats. I found a great Dominican restaurant and love the breakfast at Pelican and Zee Best.

Questions:

1. Are there any cheap eats on the French side like the Dutch (besides lolos)?

2. Is the Radisson really that isolated? I am comfortable driving around the island.

3. Any advice would be appreciated

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel experts need your help one more time

The Radisson is a nice choice but keep in mind that you will be eliminating the kitchen during your stay. Also, there are no true scenic views from the rooms. For some reason all rooms face side to side rather than out toward the water.

The area is isolated and some relish this for the peace and quiet it offers. You would have the sea to yourself and not worry about crowds. As you say, you can always hop in the car to go to your favorite beaches which most are close by but you will not have the nightly activity that you experienced at the residences. If you really enjoyed the evenings at Pelican, you will truly miss them if you stay at the Radisson. You will always need to get in the car and drive out to the nightlife which could be at least 20 minutes away. Not far in normal time but you will be driving at night which for some can get pretty hairy with the unlit roads on the French side.

You will need to decide what your priorities are. Getting the cheaper price may work financially but your vacation may suffer, or not.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel experts need your help one more time

The Radisson is getting rave reviews . It is a lovely hotel in a very nice location, but it is quiet and a little isolated.. To go anywhere off the grounds, you have to drive out up over the hill.

Once you are over that hill, there are many restaurants close by. The area of cul de sac which you drive through to get to the main island road has a couple of cute places.

Grand Case with its inexpensive lo los is maybe 15 minutes away. Orient Beach is maybe 10 minutes away..

Orient Bay Village has some great little french breakfast places too, as well as places to have dinner.

You will have plenty to choose from in the area.

so it's close to orient. there are inexpensive eating places not far away

BUT it is not close to all the night life which is mostly on the Dutch side of the island. Being at Pelican you were in the middle of all that.

So you have to decide what kind of vacation you want and what your priority is.

You didn't say if you were traveling with someone or traveling alone.

If you choose to stay at the Radisson and will be going out a lot at night, it would be better if you were traveling with someone and had a designated driver.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel experts need your help one more time

Since you enjoyed your stay so much on your first visit and it was in Simpson Bay, and, you know you prefer proximity to more casual and inexpensive dining, the largest collections of those casual bars/restaurants are in the Simpson Bay area. I also notice you did not mention considering staying on Orient Bay or Grand Case. If the price of the Pelican is high right now, what about other properites in that location ( Atrium, Flamingo, Royal Palm) or in Maho (Sonesta Maho, Royal Islander).

Would you rather stay in a location that offers more at night (lots of choices for casual dining and beach bars close by) and then drive to beaches during the day - Simpson and Maho are good fits. Or, would you rather be located closer to the beaches you want to spend time at during the day and then drive in the evening for dinner and nightlife (Radisson, Orient Bay or Grand Case could all work - short drives to each other and not too far to Marigot for the Anguilla ferry and Baie Rouge -excepting Orient). And to the extent you like a little classier resort, the Radisson is a little more upscale.)

While the Simpson Bay area has the most choice in casual dining choices, there are options on the French side (other than the lolos) if you are willing to drive to them.

Marigot - La Croissanterie, La Petit Auberges des Iles, La Sucriere bakery

Grand Case - Calmos Cafe, Brasserie des Iles (both are relatively less

expensive)

Orient - Le Piment, Tap 5, beach restaurants like Pedro's, Bay Watch

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,683 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel experts need your help one more time

You might try the RCI retail timeshare site for good November deals -

http://www.wyndham-vacations.com/resorts.html

See the "Last Minute Vacations" link at the top of the RCI main page for even more4 savings...

5. Re: Travel experts need your help one more time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay
Recent Conversations