We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

I am looking forward to my visit to St martin. Have only visited on a cruise on Royal Caribbean about 15 years ago. This time will be flying in and I have booked my stay at the Royal Palm Resort.

I have in the last 2-years visited Akumal Mexico and also the Dominican republic. I loved the snorkeling on site at the Grand bahia Tulum property not so much in the Dominican republic.

My question is, although I love snorkeling and my wife is more layed back and usually waits for me while taning, this is why Mexico was nice, a bar near the beach chair and great snorkeling. Was thinking of changing to the Flamingo from the Royal Palm due to the beach condition and the convence of snorkeling on site.

Have read a post about bed bugs in the Flamingo and another about roaches. How bad is the problem there? my wife can be picky and I don't want to spoil the vacation. I realize people cook in these units but don't expect the place to be full of bugs. I also have read quite a number of posts which are positive about the Flamingo.

Also if the Flamingo is only 350 yards or so off the main strip the walk would not be that bad to the eating places and this would give my wife a quieter environment which she might appreciate and allow me to snorkel and still give us access to Places like Pineapple Pete's, Lee's Grill and other eateries.

If the Flamingo is only 350 yards form the main area? Would I enjoy the baech more there which would give me easy access to chairs if I'm on site? and how bad is the bug problem? because this could no doubt ruin her vacation. Keep in mind we will only be visiting 5-nites and would prefer to spend at least 2 on our own beach property.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

You have quite a list of concerns snorking, bed bugs, roaches.

Most snorking is done at several beaches including Little Bay, Mullet, Cupecoy, Red, Créole Rock,Pinel, Green Cay, and Tintamarre,Galion, Dawn and Orient.

Also, snorking trips are popular, Random Wind Scoobidoo, Lambada, Tango, Bluebeard.

I don't think changing hotels is worth the effort. Royal Palm places you within very short walks to many restaurants, Flamingo requires a bit more walking and is hilly.

Edited: 16 May 2010, 12:35
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

I'M leaning that way , but I do like to wake up and do a snorkel and have a drink and grab a chair. And like I was saying will end up doing that for at least 2 days.

Although snorkeling is not a deal breaker for me becasue I realize there are plenty of beaches to snorkel on. The price diffrence will be around $250 less for the Flamingo for the 5 days. Also my wife and I are traveling alone and will it be worth having such a huge 2-bedroom condo? And I could be putting the extra money towards a rent-a -car. And I guess rthe car can get me up those hills and back and to the main road.

If you still think its not worth the hassle of changing hotels I am strongley considering what you say because you are very experienced in the area and surely know more than I.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

If a change in hotels will save you $250.00, and the accommodations will be to your liking, then of course make the switch. I was thinking of the bug/roaches question as your big concern.

Edited: 16 May 2010, 17:27
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

The bugs and roaches are my main concern. Is it a problem and how bad is it? Have you heard of this problem at the Flamingo? I have only seen two such posts concerning these problems

I see you own at the Flamingo. So I doubt all these Villa's and Studio's have problems. But if I change my reservation I'M sure we will probably be getting a Studio from Expedia at that price. What condition are the studios to your knowledge?

Also I see your a Staten Islander under your name. I used to work at the prison on Bloomingdale Rd. In the 80's. I used to be a correcton officer there.

Now living back in Brooklyn but close by. There all the time cousins near Arden ave. I like to take my wife to Spain on Jewett Ave. Change from the usual Italian.

Anyway thank You for your time and recommendations

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

I have stayed at the Flamingo countless number of times and do not ever remember seeing any kind of bug in my room! The maintainance dept. does spray the rooms frequently. Remember, you are in the tropics, there are bugs everywhere!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

I really have not heard of any problem with bugs and roaches at Flamingo. We're Divi owners and do not own at Flamingo. Maybe Sxmscubaman can assist you with this as he is an owner but is on the West Coast and may not sign in until later this morning. Personally I don't think you have any thing to worry about as far as this issue.

We're from Bensonhurst and have been on Staten Island for 25 years.

Have you tried Carmen's Restaurant?

I don't know what you're paying Expedia for a timeshare rental but I doubt you can beat RCI.

www.wyndham-vacations.com/main.taf…

Great rates and even greater last minute deals as well as additional 10% off for AARP members.

Good luck.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

We are not to far from L&B in Gravesend. And yes we tried Carmens once., not bad but I'm partial to the stuffed Lobster at Spain.

I used to like to go to Spain in Newark, that was the original one and the Lobsters were huge.

I used to get 2-twin Lobsters 1-1/4 LB Lobsters facing each other for around $27. And they looked like 1-1/2. But that changed and we did not enjoy it the last time we were there last year. The muscles were full of sand and the owner says to us well what can you do. They were more classy years ago but seem to have gone down hill.

I have lived in Bensonhurst, Gravesend for over 52 years, accept for the two years I lived in Staten Island in the 80's when working at Arthur Kill.

Stay in touch.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

I stayed at the Royal Palm last year and I am staying at the Flamingo next month. Distance wise they are not that far apart. The snorkeling is not fantastic off the beach at the Royal Palm so dont let that make the decision for you. I heard there was decent snorkeling near the rocks by the Flamingo. The Royal Palm is closer to the main strip so that would entail less of a walk to the resteraunts. Every room has an ocean view at the Royal Palm. The mosquitoes were a slight problem there for us last year, but not a deal breaker.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

How far would you say the Flamingo is from the main rd and The Royal Palm. And how steep a hill is it to walk up or down to get there. Are the studio's up the hill ?

Also what month were you at Royal Palm when you had the Mosquito problem? I read some posts that the Mosquito's were in certain areas on the first floor rooms

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flamingo or Royal Palm resort Simpson Bay area

It's very steep going back up. About a 10 minute walk. I personally would hate to do it after dinner and drinks.

Mosquitos are out when it rains or if there is lots of vegetation around.

Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay
Recent Conversations