We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

We loved it last year and decided we had to return and we loved it even more this time...last year we rushed about trying to do as much as we could...this time we chilled out a lot more...we took the Pirate trip on 'Black Bart' up to Tintemarre with lunch at Pinel Island, then snorkelling at Crowl Rock...what a great trip with wonderful people...so much fun...we climbed Pic Paradis and might consider the zip line another time...stayed at Royal Islander La Plage at Maho and would definitely stay there again, 2nd week at Le Cottages de Lonvilliers at Anse Marcel...totally different and we'd stay there again...Maho is busy and lots to do, Anse Marcel is peaceful and we got passes to use the pool and facilities at the Radisson which was great...walked the full length of Orient Beach a couple of times...finally took my top off...as they say, 'when in Rome'...found other local restaurants that we really enjoyed...Hot Spot in Marigot and Caribbean Blend in Philipsburg...we also had a great meal at Carl & Sons in Philipsburg, which was probably the cheapest meal ever...I think it was $7. for a full dinner with wonderful tender and tasty mahi mahi, salad and other veggies with peas and rice on the side...too much to eat actually

williamsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

Thanks for your post. Did you find any spots to listen to some music at night? Did you rent car? If so through how? Were you ever threatened at night? Been reading this on other blogs lately. We leave in a week!! 1st time at St Maarten.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

tugtug - the key word is "RELAX"...you're at the GCBC, a nice property, a short walk into the village....try one of our favorite restaurants when in the village -

Brasserie des Iles - good food, reasonable prices -

dinesxm.com/restaurants/brasserie-des-iles

http://www.grandcase.com/restaurants.html

williamsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

I know Bobcat. I am not used to getting away. In fact we have never gotten to go on a trip together (ever)! Our first trip away from kids and I am just trying to cover all bases. I so much appreciate your advice and suggestions. My husband and I can't wait to touch down! I truly will do the "happy dance" when my feet are in sand and I have a nice Island Drink in my hand. Any Island Drink recommendations we should try while on Island?? Remember we are at GCBC. Do you and your wife live on island? How long have you been there?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

We live on Staten Island but have travelled to Sint Maarten since 1989.

http://www.guavaberry.com/

The drink of the Dutch Werst Indies

www.ministryofrum.com/producerdetails.php…

The drink of the French West Indies

I'm not much of a drinker, I do like most drinks with rum in them however and of course beer...Heinekens, Caribs, Presidentes....are all good choices...

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

Try a BBC. Baileys, Banana, colada. Best if made with a fresh banana. A little chocolate syrup on the side of the glass. DESSERT! And very yummy.

To the OP - so glad you enjoyed your second visit. Addicting, isn't it?

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

must try a bbc! some make them better than others (the chocolate drizzle) but all are very good! our 1st trip was last year and we drove all over usually returning to our resort in the dawn beach/oyster bay area around midnight. using the same precautions we would at home we never had a problem!

williamsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

OH MY GOODNESS! I am having a BBC when we land. Watch the hotel not know what I am talking about. I can't wait guys. We will let you know when we get back how it was!! Thanks to all the wonderful replies we received. Such nice people!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

If you walk up to ANY bar on SXM and they don't know what a BBC is, RUN AWAY!!!!!

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

We didn't take in music at night so we can't comment on that, though when we ate out at Moulin Fou at Maho, which was excellent, we couldn't help but hear the music from Cherrys Cafe next door...

We rented our car from Kenny's, who we also rented from last year...

no problems walking around at night, but I'm sure it depends on where you are and maybe how late at night...we walked around Maho at night no problems, and Simpsons Bay too...we did have year round people from both sides of the island tell us that Grand Case is getting to be a real problem area for crime so that might not be a good place to walk around at night...

Hilmar, California
Level Contributor
473 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back from our 2nd visit to SXM

TugTug I am so happy for you! My husband is a workaholic and it took me almost 15 years of marriage to get him to take more than two or three days off per year. Once we finally took a real vacation and he found out what it feels like to truly relax we've taken at least a week every year if not more. Enjoy your trip and start planning your next one as soon as you get home! Life is too short and the world is too big.