We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Hi all,

As a rule, we generally tip our maids / servers - especially for great service.

What are acceptable amounts at the Sonesta Maho?

Any other info greatly appreciated!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Tipping can be a bit tricky to tourists. That's because there is nothing called "tipping" in France. It is called "service". And service is included usually in your hotel rate and in your restaurant prices.

In regards to restaurants, if the service is included the menu will have clearly written on it "Service compris" meaning that service is included and it's usually 15% of the tab. But local custom is that if you are very satisfied with your waiter's service then you may leave a few spare change in addition.

The tricky part is when a patron asks the waiter if the tip is included in the total and the waiter will say "no". That's because it's true, there is no tip so he will say "no". Then upon hearing that the patron will leave a tip of 15%.

Recall that the service of 15% is included already in the total so the service plus additional tip will have come up to 30%!

So don't ask if the "tip" is included-ask instead if "service" is included. If yes, then no need to leave anything unless you are very happy and satisified with your server; in that case leave some loose change or so in addition.

Over on the Dutch side the service charge is added as a line item to the check.

=========================

From what I have read custom seems to vary from person to person.

DINING

If the 15% service charge is included and the experience was enjoyable you may wish to add on another 5%.

TAXI

Ten to fifteen percent seems not out of line.

HOTEL

a) bellman - $2.00 per bag

b) porters - $2.00 per bag

c) chambermaids - $2.50 per person, per day

Leaving a tip for hotel maid service would be more in line with what I suggested and less in line for some timeshare stays that may offer only two days of full housekeeping.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Like Bobcat, i usually leave $5/day for housekeeping, and extra if they do something special.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Thanks, but my curiosity is in regards to an "all inclusive" resort on the Dutch side.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

We always tip housekeeping, even if we have made the bed and washed our dishes. The amount varies, as some have done a better job than others, and that is your call. I would imagine that acceptable amounts would be the same at any hotel. Hope you get some helpful responses.

Big Bear City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

$ 5/day is a good rule of thumb for housekeeping, unless they did an extraordinary job. Then a little more is fine. Keep in mind, the average hourly rate for a maid is roughly $ 3.50-4 an hour, so they will aprreciate anything you leave them. As far as bars or restaurants, I generally tip the same as I would in the states, so 15-20%, depending upon service.

6. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16