We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Cash Passport Cards

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Using Cash Passport Cards

Going to St Maarten late September (Simpson Bay). Are Thomas Cook Pre - Loaded (American Dollar) Cash Passport Cards accepted at most outlets eg, shops, supermarkets, bars, restaurants

etc.

Mackems 32

Mentioned in this post
Simpson Bay
Simpson Bay
St Martin / St Maarten
Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

There are a LOT of places that only take cash. Don't know about UK Passport Cards, but we have been given AMEX cards as gifts and they could not be used here.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,379 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

I know nothing about UK passport cards, never had one and see no reason why to get it.

Use your debit card for cash withdrawals, and your credit card for other purchases.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Whilst I've no experience with Passport Cards, for the last few years I've had 2 fairfx.com pre-paid debit cards - US$ & euros. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They offer a great exchange rate & I've never had a problem with using them anywhere that takes credit cards. Plus I can withdraw up to US$600 per day from any ATM for a $2 flat fee (which is the charge by the local bank in St Maarten). There are no hidden bank charges or foreign transactions fees of which UK Banks are so fond!

Mentioned in this post
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Thanks for your response, we are still not sure. We have used both Dollar & Euro cards in the states & Europe with little trouble.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Pre-loaded cash passport cards are Debit cards Usable in any outlet that recognises & displays the MasterCard Logo. We would like to know if they are acceptable in lots of outlets.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Mastercard is widely accepted. As sxmlover said, there are beach bars, smaller restaurants & shops that only accept cash but supermarkets & most restaurants will accept credit or debit cards. You may be asked to show photo ID &, at French side restaurants, if paying in US$, you will usually get a better $ to € rate if paying in cash. For these reasons I use cash more.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

We used them throughout the Caribbean with no drama whatsoever. Brilliant things.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Thanks for your reply, it helped make our minds up to take them with us.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Responding to seasidetabby = family and I will be travelling from Salisbury, UK to Florida and then on to St.Maarten in August 2014 so I am interested to know what currency you would recommend as you are also from the UK. Would you suggest that we bring enough cash in US dollars or load some pre-paid cards? We are staying at the Westin apartments in Dawn Beach Club. We have never been to St. Maarten before and I am slightly concerned about the reports I am now reading about safety on the island. What do you think - is it safe enough if we are sensible? The only islands we have been to before are St. Thomas, Aruba and Curacao - all were very safe but we don't go out really late at night and will stay around the resort if we have to at night. but we do like to rent a car and drive around during the day .

Edited: 12 April 2014, 23:49
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Dawn Beach
Dawn Beach
500 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Cash Passport Cards

Personally, for my tuppence worth, having been to SXM countless times over the years, US dollars are king, but as I mentioned in a previous post, we really do have to recommend the prepaid cards for peace of mind.

As for safety and crime on the island, in the 17+ years we've been going, we've never had a problem. Just, as you say, be careful and use your loaf.

Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay