We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stony Brook, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flamingo Beach Resort Review

We stayed at Flamingo Beach Resort for 1 week in August 2014. We had a great time and loved the place, the convenience and especially the proximity to the beach. We recommend it highly to anyone. I filmed a short walkthrough of the room for people to see what they are getting with Flamingo. If interested, please take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5n9673MNQE

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

I love this. It looks like you're milking the vacation after-glow too-doing little things to keep the memories fresh! the only thing I found missing in my room was a radio .. I don't do TV and would have liked to find a local radio station. 4 years ago, there was a radio in my room... did you have a terrific stay? well, really that's a stupid question, no?

oultonbroad
Level Contributor
434 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Sounds like you had a great holiday. We go end of March 2015......cant wait

Loved your little film.....

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Just so you know that video was of a studio in Building seven. The one bed and two bed lockouts have a completely different look to them. The two bed lock outs are being redone as I write.

oultonbroad
Level Contributor
434 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

SXMScubaman

Thanks for that......

We are booked into a studio with ocean view so that's a great chance for us to see the layout and the look of the place.........

We generally go for the studios as never spend much time in the room so size is not important to us.......

Just a great fun filled holiday which gives us some fantastic memories

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
533 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Here's a silly question - did they provide coffee machine filters or no? If not, are they the cone style or the basket style?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

I'll take this one. They do provide a coffee machine. It is neither cone or basket style! It was a cuisinart type i had not seen before but worked well. There is a basket incorporated into a sort of "tank" on top. When the coffee is brewed you put your cup under a spout and push a lever and the coffee fills the cup. They provide a wks worth of filters and starter reg and decaf pack. (at least the two units we were in had this type).

As for a review. Our first unit was horrible 3202a. High up it was a strenuous walk and then no elevator so we had to sclep everything up stairs. Once there it was an outdated tiny one BR (none of the website photos show this floor plan). Neither of two tvs worked, shower did not drain. The "lovely garden view" was of a broken down chain link fence (not from the recent hurricane) covered in dead vines and several ac units from the adjacent bulding. No way any breeze could pass thru so the balcony was inundated with mosquitos as was the outside stairwell. We arrived Sat. On Monday afternoon, when a Manager was on duty (we were advised there was not anyone with authority over the weekend) we were moved to a very nice unit in Bldg 7. Everything worked and the view was spectacular. We didn't see a single mosquito there and the final 5 days of our holliday were salvaged. While we realize not everyone can be assured an ocean view, the first unit was not acceptable for this Resort. The B units in Bldg 3 would still have the climb and stairs but have an open location so at least get some airflow and light. Had we not been moved we planned to just pay for a second accomodation elsewhere. The staff was excellent from the shuttle driver, front desk staff, cleaning crew and everyone we encountered. The pool was clean and very nice. We find the beaches (2) on site very small and the palapas were claimed every morning by 7am when people placed towels and personal items there tho they didn't show up to use them for hours. There were plenty of lounge chairs around the pool to use and others on the beach, just not with shade. The water was lovely for swimming and even some snorkeling right off the beach. While we had read how easy it was to walk to endless restaurants, we didn't realize walking back up the steep hill from the main part of Simpson Bay was necessary. We did not rent a car as most mornings were spent diving and in the evening we enjoy adult beverages and choose not to drive. Taxis were plentiful and we used them to go out at night and also to go over to Orient Beach and into Phillipsburg. Aquamania almost next door booked a day trip to Anguilla which we really enjoyed, daily dive trips and even my bus tour of the Island one day.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

We have stayed in 3202 and it s not as bad as you say. It's only one flight of stairs to your unit. We own the penthouse unit on the floor above you and climb another flight of stairs which isn't that bad considering we are both in our late 60's. View is fantastic from both the A and B side. To bad your room wasn't to your liking but glad the management took good care of you.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

The view from 3202A is NOT fantastic! No one could even begin to believe that. I have photos.I should probably take the time to post them on the Review pg of Trip Advisor for the Resort so future travelers can be forwarned and not have the beginning of their stay spoiled. The view is only of AC units in the next bldg over and a badly damaged chain link fence. It did appear that the B units would have a good view. And some of the A units on either end (NOT the ones in the middle). If we looked to the right we did have a parking lot view. The flight of stairs is after you climb a steep hill and go up an incline and then another set of concrete steps. While everyone certainly has their own opinion there is no way that could be considered a good view nor easily accessible. The unit was very dated and not even clean. That along with several things not working is what prompted Management to move us. The unit they moved us to was over the top. Really nice. Hard to believe they both exist within the same Resort. We met Owners there who said Bldg 3 could only be fixed by tearing it down. I didn't think it was that bad but they are also welcome to their opinion. We would never again accept a unit there. In speaking with other Guests, the Veteran travelers to the Resort all said they specifically request not to be in Bldg 3 when possible and if they must take it ask for B units.

Edited: 05 November 2014, 15:40
Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Building three was built in 1999-2000. It is currently being refurbished and redone with new furniture and appliances. Perhaps they hadn't done that unit yet. Our view from the floor above the unit you were in is a great panoramic of the whole area. Most people that stay in that building rent a car, park in the front and take the walkway without those steps to access that part of the building your unit was in. We stay there for 2 weeks in that unit and 2 weeks in building seven. We enjoy them both for different reasons.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flamingo Beach Resort Review

Forgot to add is what you experienced is not uncommon when you rent or trade into a timeshare resort. Unless the previous occupant brings maintenance issues to the management and report what needs fixing it doesn't get done. Maintenance and management have no way of knowing these issues unless someone reports it. Having a room that wasn't cleaned properly is not excusable but the maids don't turn on TV's and appliances to see if they work or not. They are there to clean and change towels and linens.

Glad you took the initiative to report these things to management so maintenance can address them before the next occupant arrives.

Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay
Recent Conversations