We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax

Which Grand Case hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Departure Tax

Hi,

Does anybody know if there's a departure tax when leaving St. Maarten? I thought I read that you have to pay $30.00 cash. Is this true?

Thank you!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax

The departure fee is US$30.00 and is usually included by your airline in the fare.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax

Check with your airline. Most include the charge but there could be some out there that don't.

Tampa Bay, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax

I also just found out about the departure tax and actually quite by accident. I was trying to find out where I could meet my brother at the airport (we are both flying there from different states and don't want to incur crazy cel phone roaming charges, he won't even be bringing his phone because "iphone charges roaming whether you use the phone or not...") and at the airport site I found the following:

http://www.pjiae.com/travelers-tips.html

{Princess Juliana International Airport - Travel tips

Please be informed that an airport departure fee (ADF) is due separately upon departure from Princess Juliana International Airport. For international destinations an ADF of USD 30.00 or Naf. 54.00 is due. For departures to domestic destinations an ADF of USD 10.00 or Naf. 18.00 is charged. Children under the age of two (2) are exempted of payment. Domestic destinations are: Saba, Statia, Bonaire and Curacao. You can find the ADF counters in the corridor between the check-in area and the entrance to the departure hall.

The Airport Departure Fee is incorporated in the ticket price for passengers traveling with American Airlines, Air France, Continental Airlines, CorsAir, Delta Airlines and KLM. These passengers do not have to separately pay the airport departure fee.}

I hope this helps. The link I added is the actual airport link, which has a lot of other useful information.

Enjoy your trip.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax

The current fees charged by Juliana are:

Departure Fee - $US30.00

Security Fee - $US 9.35

Airline e- ticket confirmations should include these amounts in the itemization of charges that make up the fare price. If you do not see it you should ask your airline if it's included. If it is not you will have to pay it at departure.

http://www.pjiae.com/rates-charges.html

Officially it is called a "fee" and not a "tax", not that it has any effect on our bottom line, we're stuck with it no matter what they call it.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax

We've just booked LIAT from Antigua to SXM and amongst the "additional fees" for the return segment is an item "Airport Passenger Taxes - $60"

Since there are two of us travelling, can I safely assume this is the SXM departure "fee"?

Jules

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax

I do not see LIAT on the list of names posted earlier.

You may assume "Airport Departure Taxes" and " Departure Fee" are one and the same but it would be prudent to double check this with your carrier.

Always have enough cash on hand to cover just in case.

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax

USAirways also incorporates the departure tax into the ticket fare.

Tampa Bay, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax

"USAirways also incorporates the departure tax into the ticket fare."

Are you sure about this? I thought I read on their site that the departure tax is not included in their (US Air) fare. I'm flying US Air this Thursday and coming home on Sunday, so I guess I'll find out for sure soon enough...lol

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax

Update on LIAT:

I emailed them last night with the following query:

Amongst the additional fees and taxes for our flight with you, you list “Airport Passenger Taxes $60.00 USD”. Can you please confirm that this is the “departure fee” of $30 per person from St Martin?

This morning I got this response:

The airport passenger tax is the departure tax for passengers departing from St. Maarten.

Regards,

Laurel

So you can add LIAT to the airlines that include this fee: AND a big pat on the back for LIAT for such a prompt response!

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax

Sandi - Yes, my ticket with US included the departure tax. It was booked back in February so things may have changed since. I read another post that said they thought it wasn't included in their US ticket from Expedia but were suprised when it was. I've flown USAirways for 15 years and all taxes and fees are always included in the ticket price. It detailed the "fees" when I purchased my ticket and that was included. You can usually tell. If the ticket price is $149 pp, but after all fees ends up being more than $200 pp, it's probably included. It makes your final price jump. If you don't check it out before you go, just make sure you have $30 in cash handy for everyone departing with you. You never know what they may change with things being crazy like they are now...