We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Jitney route

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bus/Jitney route

We will be staying in Grand Case when we come down to SXM in about a week. We are not planning on getting a rental car (I know many people on TA suggest it, but I drive all the time here. I don't want to drive on vacation too).

We are interested in the jitney for going into Marigot for a morning or afternoon, and possibly to Cul de Sac one evening for dinner (though I''m not sure if we'll need to as it sounds like there are so many restaurant choices right in Grand Case).

I came across this website with some info on the jitneys: stmartin-guide.info/getting.around/buses/

I understand the stops are not regular, and there is no schedule, but does anyone know if there is a general route that these vans generally follow?

Thank you!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Jitney route

The buses, which are mostly 15 passenger van types have a cardboard plaque in the front window saying where they are going. Marigot, Philipsbuurg, Cupecoy, Grand Case etc. They stick pretty much to the main roads, so if you are going to a beach, or somewhere a little out of the way, you are in for a walk.

The buses do not run at night, and do not go to their last outposts sometimes beginning around 4 or so. Most of their business is locals, so once they are off work, they don't bother.

So your trip to Marigot should be fine, but out to dinner, I doubt it.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Jitney route

To add to sxmlover's post, the best place for a bus pickup in Grand Case is where Blvd. de Grand Case meets back up with the main road. Always lots of locals standing there during the day waiting for the bus. (I've also seen several hitchhikers accepting rides from that spot, but that's not a method I would recommend.)

3. Re: Bus/Jitney route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 06:16