We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

Level Contributor
401 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

Hello, my boyfriend and I are thinking of booking a trip to St. Maarten the end of Jan. and we were thinking of booking a small boutique hotels for about 4 days and then trying to rent a sailboat with a skipper for two days and tour around. I have looked online at some charters. Does anyone have a recommendation. I am surprised at how expensive they are as well. If you want say just a 30ft with someone to help you. We do sail well actually I am a beginner and he sails! and we have a 21 ft sail boat here in canada. I know you can rent a 21ft for a few hours or so, but we were thinking of overnight, and then I guess the question is the skipper stays with you on the boat where you dock? As well I was looking into Le Petit Hotel, a bit over our budget but looks really nice, although they say minimum of 7 days requested?

thanks, for any advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

Hey, in regards to Le Petit Hotel, contact Jean-Francois (info@lepetithotel.com) to see if your dates tack on to another reservation...if so they'd be happy to do less than 7 nights for you. If your dates don't tack on, you can also try L'Esplanade, Le Petit's sister hotel (www.lesplanade.com). You can't go wrong with either of these choices. In regards to renting a sailboat, contact Carlijn at horizonyachtcharters.com/stmartin/stmartin.h… Good luck, sounds like a great vacation!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
398 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

A couple of comments & suggestions for your sailing idea. 30' is considered very small in the Caribbean - most Charter fleets do not offer anything under 40'. As it's high season you will find it difficult to charter from a large company for less than a week - same as with hotel accommodation, although with the current state of the economy you may be lucky. I would try smaller operations; you might like to contact Ben & Sabine who run St Maarten Charter Deals - www.stmaartencharterdeals.com - they are a very nice couple, both active sailors. Or Zuzu & Alain who run SXM St Martin Catamaran Charters - www.sxmstmartincatamarancharters.net Although it is a 4 cabin cat (so you might end up sharing) they do offer 2 day/1 night trips. Also, Zuzu has a variety of accommodation ashore, including some self-catering apartments in Grand Case - california-st-martin.com/California-SXM-engl… Whilst not the boutique hotels you mentioned, Zuzu may be able to put together a package for you. Finally, if you are unable to find a 2 day charter, there are a number of different options for day trips only (although spending a night alfoat & waking up in Anguillla or St Barts should not be missed if possible!).

Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

Though not a boutique hotel, we find Grand Case Beach Club lovely and nice sized. We are returning there for the 3rd time. A good value, clean up-to-date rooms, beautiful grounds, their Sunset Cafe is a great restaurant,, Check out their website and Trip Advisor reviews. I highly recommend it!

Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

Though not a boutique hotel, we find Grand Case Beach Club lovely and nice sized. We are returning there for the 3rd time. A good value, clean up-to-date rooms, beautiful grounds, their Sunset Cafe is a great restaurant,, Check out their website and Trip Advisor reviews. I highly recommend it!

Level Contributor
401 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

thank you for great information. I have lots of research to now do!. A friend of mine has suggested saying in Anguilla as well, so I am now looking at that as well. Thanks again Charlie

6. Re: sailing in st. maarten and booking Le Petit Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Case
Recent Conversations