We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing meat/food for trip

scranton
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
packing meat/food for trip

Can anyone tell me if they have taken meat or other food on the plane? If so, what is the best way ? Can it be a carryon?

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: packing meat/food for trip

If you are talking about from the US to SXM, then I can safely say that many people do it with no problem at all. The customs section on the island is behind the scenes (not like the US where you must stop and pass through customs) and so I would assume they're primary goal is to find drugs and not food items and deal with this without the passenger even knowing.

If you are talking about from SXM back home, then be careful. Last year I was verbally questioned if I was bringing back any food items. Last year I said no.

Just so you know, if you say yes, they will open up your luggage and inspect. About 8 years ago I entered on the form that I was bringing back some special double cream butter (frozen) and they decided to inspect my bags. After seeing that this butter was not a threat nor considered illegal in the US (pateurization issue) I was sent on my way. Never again will I list any foods and then hope for the best.

Edited: 05 February 2010, 18:56
scranton
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: packing meat/food for trip

Thank you for the information. I was just thinking of taking some food with us and not bringing back home. Did you take a cooler carry on or chec ked baggage?

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: packing meat/food for trip

The only foods I have ever taken from the US to SXM were items that I had extra of in the closet that I knew I would be using while there. Otherwise I just buy everything on the island. If you shop at the right supermarket, the cost is only a fraction more than the US. Remember that the residents need to eat as well so the stores like Grande Marche are pretty reasonable. But if you feel the need to heavily economize, then I would suggest you buy one of those flat silver thermal bags they sell in the supermarkets and use a frozen quart container of orange juice to keep your food cold. I would put it in the checked luggage and hope for the best regarding delays and such. If the food does not need to be cold, bring all glass items (wrapped well in bubble wrap) with you on the plane and put any non-breakable items in the checked luggage.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: packing meat/food for trip

Remember, if they are liquid or could become liquid, you will have to check them.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: packing meat/food for trip

Forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder. Then it's important to use plenty of bubble wrap and cushioning, as well as put into a zip lock bag just in case. I have brought a few filled glass items in my checked bags and with doing this, it was no problem. But truthfully, unless you are a light clothes packer, it wouldn't be worth it to bring these items since most everything is available on the island. We don't pack many clothes because most of our stuff is already on the island so it's feasible for us to pack these things with plenty of room.

6. Re: packing meat/food for trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Mullet Bay
Recent Conversations