We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island

Arizona
Level Contributor
116 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Which island

We will be taking holiday on St. John next spring and we were looking to do a day trip to one of the B.V. Islands. Recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island

That is a tough question, because the three main islands are all so different from each other.

Tortola (Road Town is the capital of the BVI) - for "authentic" Caribbean feel; lots of variety (choices of restaurants, beaches, bars, etc.); and proximity to St John.

Virgin Gorda - for lush scenery; nice resorts and restaurants; and to see and swim through "The Baths".

Anegada - for completely different topography; excellent snorkeling; and barbecued lobster, if you can get it. Getting to/from Anegada is one day will be the most challenging, but it is quite unusual.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Road Town
Road Town
Tortola
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Anegada
Anegada
British Virgin Islands
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island

I would vote for Virgin Gorda based on the time frame. There are a lot of good restaurants there and you have the Bath's which are a MUST see while in the BVI. Everything else would be quite time consuming (lots of taxi time and beach hopping). In V.G you could take a quick taxi ride to the Bath's, have lunch at the Top of the Bath's and get the most out of your day.

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island

Yes I would agree - my fav of the BVI is Virgin Gorda.

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
109 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island

Jost Van Dyke- hit White Bay, have a painkiller, slip over to Foxy's and Corsairs....no way that can be anything short of a great day.

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Foxy's
Foxy's
650 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island

If you were not staying on St Johns I would say to go to Jost Van Dyke, but since you are, I would recommend that you go to the Baths on Virgin Gorda or do a day trip on a boat that encompasses a couple of stops. The Baths are really different and you will not find anything like it on the other islands. Jost however has really beautiful beaches, however, so does St John so that is why I would not recommend that.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
6. Re: Which island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands