We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

If you were to stay in BVI in early-mid August, what would be your top island pick. We're leaning toward Tortola, possibly Virgin Gorda.

What do you suggest for renting houses, though honestly we're a party of 2--so a smaller house on water or hill overlooking water, preferably with pool. I've been checking VRBO, but are there other websites I should pick?

Is it best to fly to ST Thomas and take ferry to island? I've been seeing some great airfares.

Thanks a million!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

I suspect you'll get a variety of opinions as everyone has their favorites. I prefer Virgin Gorda over Tortola. What island is best for you depends on what YOU want.

There are plenty of places on both islands that can accomodate the two of you.

It would help if you told us more about your likes and dislikes and what you want to do while on your vacation. Be specific, don't tell us you want to relax on the beach, you can do that almost everywhere. The more information you provide the easier it will be for the contributors on this forum to assist you.

Whether it is best to fly into St. Thomas and take a ferry to your destination or fly into Tortola via San Juan and then a ferry (if needed) depends on

many different factors. There's no "one size fitss all answer". Cost, timing and convenience all play into you decision. Do the research and choose what works best for YOU.

As for villa rentals, again there are numerous websites you can visit. I've used www.wimco.com with excellent results but there are plenty of others. Do a google search for "villa rentals, Tortola" or "Villa rentals, Virgin Gorda" and you'll find listings for almost every rental villa available on both islands.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Personally I've enjoyed Virgin Gorda more than Tortola, but if I had another week to spend in the BVI (oh, if ONLY!) I would stay on Jost Van Dyke or Anegada. But that's me.

On Anegada, I would rent "Lavenda Breeze" (3BR house), and on Jost Van Dyke, my first choice is to stay at Sandcastle, second choice at White Bay Villas -- who, by the way, are running a special right now for 20% off any rental booked by June 30 for a stay later this summer.

However, if you are really sold on Virgin Gorda, I would recommend the Sugar Mill villa at Nail Bay -- it has a roof top pool, great views and is just a great place to spend a vacation.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Personally, I would chose either Virgin Gorda or Jost VanDyke over Tortola. But that is just me.

As far as to where to fly into, we usually fly into STT beacuse it is cheaper then EIS. However, if you are getting great deals into EIS, then I would do that. Flying into STT means having to catch the ferry over to Tortola. It is about a 45 minute ferry ride, and the last time we did this is was about $110.00 R/T for 2.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
314 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Hello:

In mid-august you want to make sure that you select a location that has a pool and faces into the trade winds. I would go with Virgin Gorda, as it has great selection of villas. Goggle Virgin Gorda Villa and look at the selection. It is also a great island to spend a week. I just got back from 17 days at my villa. You will have rain just about every day but only for maybe 10-30 min, then the sun will come out again.

Thorsten Cook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Dear TP Cook,

I know this might sound crazy, but which sections of the Virgin Gorda face into the tradewinds so that when I look at villa's I'm looking in the correct location. This trip planning is not going as smoothly as I had hoped. I guess I thought there would be better deals. Mind you, I have the champagne taste on the beer budget--esp with what I want. I'd like to be in the hills overlooking the water with a pool--hey, an infinity pool would be nice. I only need a small place. I want the "perfect" environment to reflect and contemplate the future. Unfortunately that seems to come at a steep price. I thought going in the summer might ease the pricing...but the villas I really like are really expensive....

As a local, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your comments!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Hi Carib Surfer,

Thank you for your response. I've been on the wimco website and vrbo. What I like is pricey, but I've seen some beautiful villas. I'm looking for an environment that I can reflect in. I appreciate your input.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Hi Pittsburgh Pam,

Thank you for your suggestions. I do love what I see on Virgin Gorda. The planning isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped. The air flights are really inexpensive, but the villas I like are erasing the flight advantage!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Hi dtenel,

I agree that it's less expensive to go into STT and take the ferry. I wish the rest of the planning would go as easily as the transpo part! Thanks for your recommendations!

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
314 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Hello:

The trade winds come from the east. South Sound faces into the trade winds and thus always has a great breeze. We are fully booked until Sept 1, if you are looking for this year.

You might try the Sound Bay Villa, which is also on South Sound. There are some other villas which face east but I am not sure any of them rent.

Thorsten Cook

South Sound Villa

Virgin Gorda BVI

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best pick for stay in BVI in August/best houses/flights

Your house is beautiful. I couldn't find the South bay villa. Ironically, we're from the same neck of the woods!

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands