We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi everyone,

I have just booked our March honeymoon at PI and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on specific rooms or buildings to request.

I would have loved a Beachfront, but it wasn't available.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

We stayed in a beachfront last year and, aside from the proximity to the beach, I’m not sure it was worth the many extra dollars. Toward the end of our stay we toured the oceanfront rooms for future reference and pretty much decided that unless we win a lottery, we’d do one of those the next time.

Plusses & minuses. The beachfront rooms have huge bathrooms. My wife loved that but it was a waste of real estate as far as I was concerned, since the main rooms were smaller than I had expected. Closet space was very limited. Oceanfront rooms have more “normal” size bathrooms. The beachfront rooms were very convenient to the main beach and the beachside restaurant, but it was a bit of a trek to the main restaurant & lobby area. We also spent half our beach days at White Bay, which they drive you to, so it was probably a tradeoff in terms of location.

As far as specific rooms in the Oceanfront area, we would opt for an upper unit. It is slightly larger than the lower because there’s no stairwell. Also potentially quieter because you have no upstairs neighbors. Those units have a balcony while the lower ones have a patio. Some would prefer the patio since there’s more room to spread out, but you get a little better view up top. We would also choose a location farthest away from the lobby & pool area, just because of the traffic and noise (not that there’s a lot of either at PI).

It’s a memorable place. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

Denton
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi Kimwa,

I saw on another post of yours that you decided to go with PI instead of Caneel Bay. I am trying to decide as well, i am heading there on my honeymoon in january. can you give me your big reasons as to why, because i am leaning to Caneel bay/dix bay?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi, I wrote you a nice long explanation and then lost my connection! oh well- here's the short version :)

All three look beautiful- CB and LTB seem pretty similar. The travel agent that is handling our guests travel plans told me that LDB is a little smaller and quieter than CB.

Since we are getting married at Caneel, I wanted to move somewhere else for the honeymoon part of our trip, but with ease.

CB's Wednesday transfer to LDB would work perfectly.

It mostly came down to pricing. I have been watching rates & packages at both for a while now. PI's rates are inclusive of all meals, but at 900/nt it was a still a consideration that LDB would a better fit dollar for value. At LDB we would want to try other places for dinner (so no meal plan)but I also wanted to stay in one of the beach cottages at LTB.

So, I was looking at roughly the same rate per night, but one resort included all meals in the rate. Then on Tuesday, I found that PI had dropped their rates for my dates to 735/nt, so I booked it.

I have also begun to think that it is the best fit for us for the honeymoon, especially after a destination wedding.

Being on a private island will make us relax and be still for a few days. If we were on Virgin Gorda we would rent a jeep and explore and be going into different spots for dinner, etc...

Oh, and PI's spa looks fantastic! (of course I will be spending the $$ I "saved" on the room rate here...oh well!)

Good luck with the decision- it's a tough one! Let me know which you decide on :)

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

I checked the websites for PI and LDB- PI is showing the new rate for Jan '06 too and LDB is offering a free confirmed upgrade to prem. ocean view for 1/2/05-2/11/06.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

One other consideration is how you feel about children during your honeymoon. LDB goes out of its way to promote itself as family-friendly. Young children aren’t encouraged at PI. We only saw two kids there during our 1-week stay. PI is also a lot smaller, with maybe 100 guests when they’re fully booked.

Denton
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Thanks a bunch. I will let you know which one we choose. This has been helpful for sure.

Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi, just returned from a 5 night stay . We stayed in the oceanfront rooms. We stayed in a upper unit. The difference in the units is that the upper has a balcony area and the lower does not but that balcony space is part of your living area on the lower units . The lower unit has a patio area that can be looked into direct from the above units. Also there are no privacy walls on the lower units as there are in the upper units. There are always quiet golf carts to whisk you around to wherever you need to go. Previous reviews are correct in that you should specifically ask for a unit that is closer to the point where the flagpole isit is further from the pool and restaurant area. The furthest upper room number is 131. If you like being out on the water take a hobie cat out, great fun and easy to learn and handle. The main beach always seems empty and is gorgeous. The staff are terrific , very helpful and pleasant. It is a quiet palce and if needed you can ask for a DVD player that can hook up to the TV ( not working except for dvd's) so bring your own entertainment or ask at the desk for a look at their selections. Be sure to take a tour of the island , get Benji if you can. Also the sunset run is also nice . The refrigerators are spacious and everyday your ice bucket is filled with ice. Consider taking a snorkel trip with Paradise Sports . Well worth it, we are avid snorkelers and this was one of the best trips we have been on. All in all a great place and not once did anyone ever mention Amway or did we have any issues with intruders coming in and using facilities etc. As a matter of fact I may have been one of the few to use the pool at all.

Denton
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi Kimwa

Denton
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Hi Kimwa,

We have decided to go with LD Bay. It felt like the right fit for us. We really liked the included lunch and dinner on the beach, as well as the inclusive deals they had with the spa and the like. however, one thing that people should be aware of, if you are looking to buy an all inclusive, including spa trips and the like is a little more difficult to pay for up front because people get there and decide not to go and don't want to pay, so they have changed their policy. We aren't going until later this month, but thank you for the advice. Hope your honeymoon is great.

Denton
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Peter Island Resort Ocean View Rooms

Kimwa,

Hey, thanks again for the input. We absolutely loved LDBay. It was beautiful weather and we loved everything. When we arrived, we were taken to our upgraded premium room. We thought we were getting an renovated room, but apparently we weren't. So when we got there, we decided to upgrade to the premium delux room, and they graciously let us pay for the premium room, instead of the prem. delux. It was a wonderful trip. I hope yours is great as well.

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands