We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charters & Seasickness

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Charters & Seasickness

Need some help - we are looking at chartering a boat for 7 to 10 days for 2 to 3 couples and some are concerned about seasickness. I have read that most of the waters are calm where the boats are docked and from my understanding the people concerned have only been nausea and when the tides/waves were high. I know there are several items available for seasickness but would like to try to avoid them. Is there any boats that are better than others as far as the motion goes? We are all 1st timers when it comes to sailing, never being on a boat for longer than a day trip.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charters & Seasickness

Simple, catamarans sail more "upright" than monohulls and thus offer a more stable sailing experience , however, if there are ocean swells neither type boat would give you a smooth trip. Also, generally speaking the larger the boat the more stable it will seem to sail. So for example, all things being equal, the sail in a 50 foot cat should be smoother than a sail on a 35 foot monohull.

The above is a generalization and you should know that it's difficult to predict what the weather and sea conditions will be during the week or so you are planning to do your charter.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charters & Seasickness

"I have read that most of the waters are calm where the boats are docked"

Charter boats rarely "dock" or take a slip while on charter (unless you're paying for it). You usually are anchored or on a mooring ball at night.

BVI
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Charters & Seasickness

I've sailed the bvi for the past ten years, first on a monohull, now on a cat. The cats are much better if you are worried about being sick. In general, if you stay hydrated and take it easy, you should not have any problems. The waters around the bvi are more like a lake than an ocean. Hope this helps.

Capt. Derek

4. Re: Charters & Seasickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:18